What are you using?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
In January i clean all guns used or not. After cleaning the inside of the barrels and bolts etc, i finish up with oiling the outside of the Muzzleloader/ Shotgun/ Rifle. Here's my problem. I always have lint from the rags on my guns. I cant stand that. I have tried several rags and nothing seems to work. I even tried those Diapers people used to wash and re-use. :lol:

If someone has a solution to this it would be greatly appreciated.

See what your local hospital does with all of the old blue surgical towels. They are made to not produce lint at all and work well for the purpose.

I agree with the blue towels from the hospital. If you want to try some, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Corpe Nimrod said:
See what your local hospital does with all of the old blue surgical towels. They are made to not produce lint at all and work well for the purpose.

I actually have some. Never thought about a throw away towel/rag. 8) I will try them out today. Thanks

Tom,

If that doesnt work, you might try oiling down one of the "micro fiber" towels from walmart they sell for detailing your car. You will not get lint from them.

For the outside metal, I put oil drop on my finger and rub it in-reload when it gets sparse. My range master showed us this for our duty weapons to keep from getting excessive oil build up leading to jams. Excessive oil will collect lint, dirt and debris so it may not be your cloth. I was skeptical at first because I know fingers have acid and such but I have been using this method for 11 years with no ill effects.

That lint only bugs me when I take close-up pics. I can't even see it otherwise. :cry:

Grouse

I have always used flannel... like the flannel from those lounge pants... Wear a pair of them until they about worn out - then cut them up for rags... Really great gun rags!

old t-shirt or paper towels. I get some paper dust from the paper towel but its nothing to worry about.

most computer stores sell lint free clothes for cleaning display screens, but the best ones are the ones for cleaning tape drive heads.one cloth last a long time too,usually they come in a pck of 50.

Latest posts

Back