what broadhead will you be using for deer this year ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll be using the Carbon Express XT4 heads again this year.

I just thought I would pass this along for those using mechanical heads. I have a buddy in Oklahoma with a dog that blood trails deer for the public, and according to the deer he’s tracked over the last 3-4 years (60+/- deer/year), 40% were due to some kind of failure with a mechanical broadhead.
I have a bunch of those heads I can sell to you very reasonably. Let me know.

I've always used 3-blade muzzies. I've never had an issue with fixed blade broadheads not flying right from my bows. My little Bowtech shoots them around 280 fps and I don't think I have ever NOT had a passthrough. One doe I shot, the arrow broke both front shoulders on the way through so violently that a piece of bone or something actually broke her neck as well. She dropped like a puppet with its strings cut. That trocar tip is just nasty.

i'm looking at the sevr robusto and grim reaper pro series whitetail extreme or their whitetail special .
i'll be using a barnett DRT405 (xp400 with a different paint job) with a vortex crossfire 2 crossbow scope.
will be my first year hunting deer . i'm really liking the 3 and 4 blade GR's for their cut pattern and i know they'll need dental bands for crossbow use . but i like the lower profile of the robusto and the screw to use it similar to a broadhead so it doesn't tear up the target and dull the blades .
anyhow ..... what will you folks be using ?

100 grain Montec G5s. And tooth of the arrow 100 grains. Both shoot like field points

Only Slick Tricks....100 grain. I can shoot my bow with a field tip and swap to a broadhead without any tuning. They fly right. I also like that they are easily re-sharpenable although buying replacement blades is also very tempting.
If I ever change from these, I plan to use Iron Will S series.
Not a once in a lifetime but a good example of a Trick takedown. I draw only 52 pounds on my compound. 1712784473980.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back