What bullet for 223

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nivlac1960

Reaction score
I have a Savage Varminter 223 with a 1-9 twist rate and a 26" barrel. What would be the optimum bullet (weight, length and type) for coyote hunting? I would be shooting out to 300yds. at the most. I have quite a bit of H335 powder on hand also.

I'd try something along the lines of a 55 grn Sierra Gameking, or similar Hornady. I would not use the very frangible 50 grn & lighter bullets, more suited for prairie dogs. I want a bullet that does a good job of anchoring a coyote. My favorite lately is the 243. I shot one just 10 days ago & not even much pelt damage.

Just trying to prevent that trailing job with a vanishing blood trail.

That's a great powder for that round! As far as bullets a 1/9" twist will easily handle a Sierra 65gr BT. It will carry more FPE to the target and less wind drift than the lighter stuff. With the heavier slugs you rifle is knocking on the back door of a .243Win.

IMO, out to 300 yds any of the major brand 55+ grain bullets should be fine. Pick the one that is most accurate in your rifle. And I would recommend trying both boat tail and flat base bullets. My Remington .223 shows a real preference for the Hornady VMax 55 grn flat base bullet. Have fun

I just loaded Hornady 68gr BTHP Match and Nosler HPBT Custom Competition bullets over 23gr-24.5 gr H335 powder. Will be going to the range shortly to check accuracy of loads.

I did some rounds with the nosler 60gr. partitions over some vihtavory N133. Accuracy was ok at the range. A little more work would tighten my groups. Have yet to see the outcome on game.

Back