What can be done, really advanced muzzleloading!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Was just reviewing some of my notes and such and came across this. I thought maybe some of you would like to see it. I don't shoot this load anymore because it was a real hassle to get everything to come together but it will work if you are anal enough. Don't know how well the 200 sst will hold together on game at this speed as I never shot a deer with it. I found plastic fouling in the bore to be a real problem with this load as well. Also the gluing of the subbases can get to be a real pain as aligning them and finding a suitable adhesive is difficult. Anyway here is the info:
Went to the range today, and here is my report.
9/18/04, 1030 -1400, temps 65 - 75
Sunny , humidity low to medium , Slight left to right breeze.

Rig:
Savage ml2, stainless/camo syn, glassbedded free floated, 3rd pillar. extra 3 lb Lead weighted stock, accu trigger. Edge mod breech plug, RW vent liner.
Weaver grand slam steel bases, Leu prw rings, Leu Vari x1 3-9 -40 set at 9x

Load :
200 gr sst, MMP 50/40 sabot with glued subbase.
Wonder Wad,70 grs VV n120 (weighed), Fed 209a primer.

Chrono data:
Distance from muzzle 10 feet
average velocity 2570 fps

Bench:
Concrete, permanent, Sandbags front and rear

Target: 8 inch shoot n see with white paper backer.

Misc:
Started with cleaned rifle, fired one fouler at a big steel plate at 200 yds, hit.
Dry swabbed 1 patch between all shots
Waited minimum of 15 minutes between shots, this was extended to 20 then 25 minutes as conditions warmed up. Fired 1 shot during course of fire with a slightly warm barrel just to test, was off call at 200 yds by 3 inches.
Felt Recoil was much more tolerable with the lead weight, slightly less then my rem 700 30-06 syn/stainless

200 yards: This is zero range
First 3 shot group 1.8 outside to outside, 1.4 center to center.

Next 3 shots used to adjust zero, last shot in the 10 ring.

300 yds:
Fired 2 shots, grouped 3 in os to os, 2.6 c to c
shots were virtually the exact same height in relation to target, all spread was horizonal. This could indicate shooter error, or a slight change of wind conditions, or a less then fully stabilized bullet due to low velocity for this load or a combo of above.
Point of impact was 15 inches below Point of aim.

Also fired 6 shots for chrono purposes, not possible to shoot at target and chrono at this range due to range conditions. These shots were fired prior to above shooting.
The 70 gr vv n120 load as above:
2592 avg 2570

Cant give the other three shots I ran over the chrono here as they were an evil duplex load :shock:

SavageMLII001.jpg

Hey Rifleman, I've seen plenty of deer and moose hit with the 200-grain SST at 2479fps and it performed very well. Just using the sabots supplied with the bullet, I can print sub one inch groups with the Omega no problem. I'm super impressed with this little bullet. My wife knocked a big mulie down last season at just over 300 yards with this load. He dropped right in his tracks. She'd put a moose down earlier that day with the same load at just over 200 yards. Yup...we are impressed.

small_nov_04_047%7E0.jpg

Do her hunting trips usually go like that?

Back