Yay...finally

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Those of you following my posts with my CVA Scout smokeless conversion. The initial outing with the Crimson Trace scope was a bust the scope was faulty and wouldn't track or hold zero. I installed a previously mounted and reliable Konus M30 Pro 1.5-6X. Load was 55 gr of IMR4198 with a 1/8" felt wad (except for the XTPs with the sabots). After bore sighting and getting close some 200 gr Hornady XTPs and Harvester sabots at 25 yards I moved the target out to 100 yards and shot 2 more XTPs which were 2" high and 3" left. I made a scope adjustment and fired 3 of the 250 gr Hornady FTXs. These hit a bit right and measured 7/8" C-C. Next I shot 3 T/C 300 gr Shockwaves. These also 7/8" C-C with 2 almost in the same hole. I'm more than happy with these 2 groups considering I was shooting off sand bags on a cargo box on the back of my ATV and only a 6X scope. This scope has a center dot that covers that half inch dot at 100 yds. I would squeeze when the orange was blocked! I undoubtedly could have shot better with a higher magnification or finer reticle.SML target.jpg

Last edited:
Bronco,
Sending back the Crimson Trace, I assume? I was interested in them based on your initial impression but maybe not now!
Oh its already on its way. But they did say refund would take 4-6 weeks. Too bad too because it was a really nice scope and the BDC reticle was a nice design.

Both of my Crimson Trace trials a year and a half ago blew up, excuse my defining words ,they just didn't make it long at all on my smokeless guns, they instantly went on my I'll never have one again list even the companies that are quick to replace scopes after two failures in a row of course I appreciate the scopes being replaced but they don't go back on a Muzzleloader again of mine.

Bronco good shooting by the way if your rifle showing that kind of accuracy with those bullets it's got a lot of potential

How are you liking smokeless?
So far so good. I was a bit "stand offish" at first but if legal in your state I'd recommend it. The LRMP modules are a bit of a hassle but nothing I can't live with and 25 is enough for a range session. A 209 system would be handier but maybe the 209s aren't hot enough to ignite the extruded smokeless powder reliably.

A 209 system would be handier but maybe the 209s aren't hot enough to ignite the extruded smokeless powder reliably.

Yes, much handier. As for reliability with extruded smokeless powder…here’s some pertinent data on flame temp and volume that has been making the rounds for years.

CCI Primer And Percussion Cap Chart (Temp in F, Gas Vol in CC)

200 Lg Rifle . . ..Flame Temp 3024 . . ..Gas Volume 11.68

250 Lg Rifle Mag . . . Flame Temp 3717 . . . Gas Volume 11.97

209 . . . Flame Temp 3024 . . . Gas Volume 21.98

#10 . . . Flame Temp 3024 . . . Gas Volume 6.53

#11 . . . Flame Temp 3024 . . . Gas Volume 6.53

#11 Mag . . . Flame Temp 3024 . . . Gas Volume 7.59

Musket Cap . . . Flame Temp 3717 . . . Gas Volume 14.36

[Muzzle Blasts, Ralph Lermayer, "Madison Avenue, Congress, and Controversial Ballistics," May 1998, page 42]

Edited for for clarity.

Last edited:
So far so good. I was a bit "stand offish" at first but if legal in your state I'd recommend it.........
Just be safe. Glad to see that you're enjoying it. Shooting should be fun and it appears you're having it.
Your excitement is spilling over a little. I haven't shot SML in a bit, mostly because of competition shooting. However, IF.... the weather will allow, I might have to send a few. I love sending those 350gr XLD's at 3,000fps and boy are they accurate.

Encore what rifle are you using and what load and pressure to get a 350 gr bulket going 3000 fps?
Jeff doesn't recommend going over 65 gr of IMR4198 with a 275 gr Fury in the Scout.

Encore what rifle are you using and what load and pressure to get a 350 gr bulket going 3000 fps?
Jeff doesn't recommend going over 65 gr of IMR4198 with a 275 gr Fury in the Scout.
I'm using a heavily built custom bolt action by friend, Jeff Fisk (Bestill), which is designed for heavy charges. Jeff's builds are outstanding, and I'm honored to have this one.

Most of the rifles being discussed here cannot handle the pressures of the charges I use. I rarely, if ever, post my charges for that very reason. I can actually send those 350's at 3,200fps safely and accurately.

I perform Satterlee tests for all the propellants and bullet combinations I use. I only use propellants and charges that are proven safe by long term SML builders for my specific rifle build. I really enjoy doing the Satterlee tests and have a program that will show me a graph of my velocities. Makes finding a node/s easy.

What I can give you are the rifle specifics..........

“DUNAMIS”

Bestill Creations LLC custom .45cal.
McMillan Game Warden, Dark McWoody finished stock with adjustable cheek (bedded)
Remington 700 S/A single shot
Modified & tuned bolt w/stop, w/Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob
Arrowhead Rifles breech plug
50 brass and 60 hardened modules
.250" recoil lug
Rock Creek 1:19 twist, 8 grove, heavy varmint barrel.... 1.250" for 5" then straight taper to .892" at 26", 28" OAL
LR Customs T-Rex CSTM muzzle brake
Trigger Tech Diamond Pro trigger
Nightforce Atacr 7-35x56 MOART
Farrell FG-Force 40moa mount (bedded)
Nightforce 6 screw Titanium rings
BT35-LW17 5-H Atlas Bipod

IMG_2025.JPG

Yea it would scare the crap out of me trying to even come close to those velocities!
I've done the Satterlee test with a few of my CFs and know what you're talking about.
I'll be happy to get 2000-2200 fps with 250 - 300 gr bullets. That should be achievable.

Yea it would scare the crap out of me trying to even come close to those velocities!
I've done the Satterlee test with a few of my CFs and know what you're talking about.
I'll be happy to get 2000-2200 fps with 250 - 300 gr bullets. That should be achievable.
A high quality brake is a must sending heavy bullets that fast ;)

Here's an example of the program I use testing.

1702843230188.jpeg

I shot ported barrels but never one with a brake. I like the brakes on these Scouts. I shot a lot of 45-70s and own 4 of them from the handy short Marlin Guide Gun to a heavy Pedersoli 1874 Sharps and shooting my Scout with hot 45-70 loads feels like shooting a .243 - very pleasant.
With the SML conversion the recoil feels even less. Probably due to less pressure from the slightly smaller bullet dia.

Back