What can I expect?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleboje

Reaction score
Well, my first hunt with the new gun is coming up and I would like to know what I can expect out of my gun/load...here are the details:

I will be traveling to the SE part of OH for the late MZ season and the white tail deer out there are much bigger than the ones in northern VA... :)

My rig is a Triumph pushing 250 gr. non-bonded SW with supplied TC sabot over 2 x 777 pellets (100gr.) and a Win 209 primer.

Not sure what velocity I am getting, but this combination shoots 1.5 inches at 100 yds (as long as I do my part).

I have been practicing faithfully since mid-summer and I am fairly confident I can put the business end of the bullet in the boiler room as long as the shot is 100 yds or less...

What can I expect from your experience...a DRT pass through followed by a bang-flop or no pass through with a long tracking job? (I am taking a camera along to document the actual results)

I also just got a box of Nosler Partition 260 gr. bullets, but won't have any range time to wring them out and see where they fly...so I will have to use the SW's.

What can I expect from the SW's in this set-up :?:

What to expect depends on where you put that Shockwave. If you bust their shoulders and break them down they should drop right there, but you loose a little meat. If you sneak it in behind the shoulder through the major organs, they might run off a way but will die. If you gut shoot them or shoot too far back you might have a real long day of tracking.

I am definately a fan of the 'boiler room' as it is drilled into me from all the years of bowhunting! 8)

Makes for an easier cleaning job too! :D

I would expect about 1900 fps, if you have the hard yellow plastic tip SW I would place my shot 3 inches above the heart and try for a bang flop if you have the newer SW with the soft red tip I would shoot square on the shoulder. Lee

My SW's have the hard plastic tip, so my aiming point will be the boiler room. :D :D :D

Can't wait to get out there and enjoy the deer camp!

if you have snow on the ground tracking will be easy ,if you use the SSTor the SHOCKWAVE get ready for a walk ...we lost 4 deer this fall ,all were shot in the boiler room ,no blood trail , i shot 2 and both ran too far ,i recovered both because we had 6" of snow on the ground . next year i will try the BARNES TMZ .250GR. they cost more but in a hunting situation cost means nothing to me...

I would stay away from any shot that would require breaking through bone. Especially on a big deer that would be quartering toward you. If your can hit behind the shoulder and into the heart/lung area you will be fine. If you hit bone, expect a huge amount of meat damage, but you will most likely kill the deer. My testing with standard shockwaves, is there is almost always jacket/core separation. Just be careful with you shot selection. I don't get all the people who claim to make good heart/lung "boiler room" shots, and don't find the deer. It has been my experience that deer hit in the lung/heart area rarely go more than 200 yds. After tracking several deer with friends (and a couple of my own) who made "boiler room" shots, most the the time the deer were hit in the liver or behind the diaphragm. Sorry, folks the liver is not a "boiler room" shot, yes its fatal, but may it may take 4 hrs for the deer to die. I have seen a couple of "no man's land" shots that went above the lungs and below the spine with lead conicals, but the deer were recovered after some trailing and a second shot.

either dead in the high shoulder or in the boiler room just behind the shoulder and you will be fine with the SW's.

the 2 midwest bruisers I shot this year with the same bullet...one was at 60 yards or so and shot through both shoulders...dead in tracks. second was at 30 yards quartering away I shot through ribs into opposite shoulder and he ran 30 yards on a death run leaving a great blood trail.

That's a good set-up. Got my first m/l deer (mature doe), with my first m/l (T/C Triumph) on my very first ever m/l hunt last year. Shot her around 80 yards from a tree stand, double lunger, went about 40 yards and pile-up. Good Luck!

Shockwaves

They work fine for me.. shot one smallish buck, a spike, at 110 yds this fall, broke the near front leg, through the heart, and out the other side ahead of the opposite front leg.. ran 25 yds pumping blood and piled up. The next deer was bedded about 30 yds off a two track road, shot her in her bed through both front shoulders, she jumped up and ran about 20 yds.. bleeding plenty to see in the snow.. piled up.. shooting a load of two Pyrodex 50-50 pellets.. no complaints from either customer.. Les

Just an update to let everyone know how the late muzzleloader hunt in OH turned out...

Our group harvested five does, ranging from 1.5 to 3.5 yrs old, using a mix of Omega's, Encore's and Triumph's.

The bucks were very reclusive and did not make any appearances during legal hunting hours...in fact, the farming caretaker reported the larger bucks had already begun shedding their antlers!

Similarly, we all used the yellow tipped TC SW 250 gr bullet with either the TC black or yellow sabot, pushed by 2 x pellets of 777 or Pyrodex (100 gr.) powder.

Three of the doe were shot through the lungs and ran from 40-70 yds before expiring (Ray Charles could have shown Stevie Wonder these blood trails!)

One was shot through the liver and one lung and ran 50 yds (Easy to follow blood trail).

One was shot through the shoulder and dropped in its tracks.

All shots with the TC 250 gr. SW resulted in complete pass throughs.

In my case, I took a doe at 25 yds and got a complete pass through of both lungs.

The doe ran downhill for 70 yds and left a wide blood trail. Due to the complete pass through, I did not recover the bullet, but it left a golfball sized exit hole just behind the far-side leg.

I was very impressed with the performance of the bullet and have decided to stick with this combination (250 gr SW, 2 x 777 pellets, Win 209 primer) as it worked very well on the deer.

I have a pic on my cell phone, but don't have the cables to download it to the 'puter...if anyone has the cables/knowledge, I can send the pic to them and they can post it.

Joe

Back