What do these muzzleloaders have in common?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
IMG_0135.JPG

They are all topped off with the same SCOPE, a Nikon OMEGA 3-9X40!

You know I was a skeptic when I first heard about this scope. It even took me a while to try one. I tried my first one at the beginning of last Fall..I mounted in a Knight LRH. Ever since..I'm liking this scope more and more..

It is a VERY compact scope. Usually you shouldn't have any problems keeping your iron sights. Optically..it is BETTER than a Leupold VX-I and sometimes I think it is better than a VX-II. Eye relief...You simply can't beat it! ESPECIALLY useful on lightweight, hard-kicking muzzleloaders..it'll save your forehead from getting a gash! The windage and elevation adjustment...EIGHTY INCHES will save the day and keep you from having zeroing problems because of not enough elevation adjustment... Nothings perfect..and the ONE are where this scope suffers by comparison is field of view where it is less than some. One other concern is the thinish reticle on the BDC-250 reticle. Neither certainly nothing that critical.

OVERALL...I really like this scope!

I was just looking at my cva wolf and wondering if I would have to remove the rear sight or buy taller rings to go over it, but your photos have me thinking maybe it can stay where it is. Would the Prostaff be about the same as your Omega?
Doug

Chuck,

Great looking rigs!

The rings on the Omega and Disc looked somewhat familiar. Warne QD I believe, but the levers are on the wrong side! N of the equater the lever should be on the left side of the gun. :lol:

that narrow FOV is the price you pay for 5" of eye relief. the one i have fits just right on a triumph, though. like the scope was made specifically for that rifle

Would the Prostaff be about the same as your Omega?

Unfortunately, no. It is one inch longer and has about one inch less eye relief! :cry:

I have never used the Nikon Omega but have heard a lot of good things about them. The Nikon Pro Staff though, I have two of them. I like the 2-7x32mm models. They are for a shotgun as well. They have excellent eye relief and I shoot magnum loads all the time through them with no eye bumps yet. Their clarity is excellent as is their parallax, and just because they are only a 32mm I have yet to feel cheated in the sight department. Granted if I were hunting out to 200+ yards a 40mm would be better, but out to 150 yards these Pro Staff scopes are great.

It was the one scope recommended by a gun shop owner when I told him what I wanted the scope to do and told him my price range which would have included much more expensive scopes. He picked out the Pro Staff and said I would never look back. Well he was right so far. Although I like that Bushnell Elite 3200 a lot too.

How do I find a scope and ring setup that will allow me to leave my sights on? Minnesota does not allow scopes for muzzleloader season, so the scope will be for target shooting only. I guess I am still leaning towards the ProStaff, based upon reviews I have read here, also its in my price range.
Doug

The Pro Staff is about 11 inches long. So normally the sights stay on the rifle. Make sure you mount the scope with Warne QD rings and weaver mounts. Then you can take the scope on and off and it will always return to POA when you put it back on. All my guns with Pro Staffs still have their sights.

My friend bought a omega scope and he wont stop talking about it ...now i have to listen to you folks about it. sounds like a good scope.

The Warne bases & rings are what I am looking at also, but I just didn't know if they would work with the sights on. Is there a way to measure the barrel somehow to figure it out before buying the mounts.
Doug

dalberg said:
The Warne bases & rings are what I am looking at also, but I just didn't know if they would work with the sights on. Is there a way to measure the barrel somehow to figure it out before buying the mounts.
Doug

On what muzzleloader? More times that not...if the scope is eleven inches in length or shorter..sights get to stay on.

dalberg said:
Its a CVA Wolf
Doug

Oh boy...the sight is really back on that one. I know I had to remove it for a Nikon Monarch 3-9X40 which is just over 12 inches long. The Nikon Omega is right at 11 inches long so it will probably make it...

Latest posts

Back