What do u guys think? Polishing the bore of a ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjc155

Reaction score
i have always done this with new shotguns (both rifled and smooth bore) and was wondering if anyone has done it on a ML or if it would be a bad idea?

With my shotguns I take a 20ga brush (for a 12ga) and wrap it with very fine steel wool. I then lube it up real good with rem oil (or anything like it), put it on a rod and chuck the rod up in an electric drill. Then I run the brush/steel wool up and down the bore with the drill/rod assembly. Keeping it very well oiled (oil running out of the muzzle end). I do this for several minutes and re-new the steel wool if needed.

I know there are other compounds like JB Bore Shine etc and would use them too if recommended, but the steel wool/oil combo works well. Just gotta keep the brush/steel wool constantly spinning and moving back and forth and not stop in one spot.

It polishes the bore to a mirror finsish (that does not wear off etc with firing or cleaning). On my 870 that I use for turkey hunting it made a positive difference in my patterning (with no other changes).

Wondering if it would make a postive difference in my ML too? Anyone have any ideas or opinions? I shot a T/C Triumph.

Thanks
J-

jjc155

I certainly agree that polishing a bore is important for several reasons. But, I hesitate to suggest using a drill to do it with, in fact I would not. It is my thought what ever you use in the bore should rotate at the same rate as the lands and grooves. Maybe others will provide other thoughts

I see no problem with you method on a smoothbore, but would never use a drill on a rifled bore. It may take longer, but a rifled bore should be polished by hand by in and out strokes of the cleaning rod with a very tight fitting patch that rotates with the rifling as it goes in and out. A spin jag works best for this.

EDIT: The problem with using a drill on a rifled bore is that one edge of the lands may be agressively worn while the other edge is not likely to be affected at all. (i.e. if the drill is rotating clockwise, the abrasive is being forced against the left edge of each land. Also, with the drill method, the grooves are not polished at all, whereas the in and out motion of a rotating patch will polish both the lands and grooves.

copy, i'll nix the drill method for this application and go with the patch/jag combo and some bore polishing cream. thanks

J-

Latest posts

Back