What do u guys use..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuckBuster

Reaction score
Hey guys... well i have been reading and talking to several people about which bullet to shoot.. i got my omega sighted in with the 250gr tc Shockwave Superglided sabots and its dead on.. the problem i have on my mind is the performance... i have read that alot of people have shot deer with these bullets and had no blood and no pass throughs... they say the bullet will not expand or hardly do anything to these deer. Season starts saturday and i have 1 day off before then and that is friday.. i am willing to try a new bullet so i am turning to you guys for help.. i use to shoot the 240gr xtp mag's out of my knight had some luck with them. is there a Barnes Sabot or any other type that is pretty easy to load/shoots well in an omega... any tips/facts would help alot thanks DB

P1020441.jpg

I am one of those people that had the poor performance from the shockwaves. the accuracy was great but last year the last weekend of the ml season i had a doe come in at 60 yards, shot, she stood there for a bit then trotted off. i new i had made a good shot but could find no blood! we luckily stumbled into her dead piled up 50 yards from the shot on the way back to camp the next day.
Anyway this began my search for a better bullet for my omega, witch didn't make sense cause there is so many people that sware by the shockwaves. i researched and decided to go with the barnes tmz's(i bought the knight version cause there cheaper, same bullet) i shot the tmz and shockwave into a laundry basket of wet news paper to check the expansion(thats where i got the bullets in the pic) after recovering them i decided to stick to barnes. the regular ones loaded way to hard so i switched to the ez load ones and they are night and day differant. put them in front of 100 grains t7 loose and they a very accurate threw an omega,
good luck

I've never killed a deer with a Shockwave so I am a poor judge of their performance. Although I have read a large number of threads that praise the ability of the Shockwave to take game. First off, no bullet is going to be a guaranteed drop. If your worried about a pass through, try the bonded shockwave which have a reinforced nose. Still when Shockwaves first came out, countless people told of taking deer, moose, elk, bear, sheep, about anything they hunted. I find it hard to believe they suddenly changed to being a poor bullet.

You could try some Nosler Partition they are supposed to be an excellent hollow point that does extensive damage and still gets pass through. Barnes are another good bullet that is recommended by a lot of people.

But if I were pressed for time and had an accurate bullet that I knew my rifle could place.. I'd probably hunt with that and just be a little more picky about where I place it.

I will say this. I have killed 2 deer with my omega with 300gr shockwaves. Both were good shots, and both deer went approx 30 yards and piled up. I can say for sure the Shockwaves did their job 100%. You coulld nearly stick your hand thru the exit wounds on both deer. No bullets were recovered, so i didnt see them expand but they sure did blow a huge hole out their ribcage. I will definetly continue to use them.

Duckbuster

I personally shoot the 290gr Knight spitfire TMZ with the Knight E-Z load sabot Backed by 95gr of 2fg 777 Loose powder out of my Disc Extreme and at 100 yds you can cover a 3 shot group with a silver dollor. I shot a nice buck last year the only shot I had was a frontal shot and I recoverd the bullet lodged aginst the back leg bone and it literaly distroyed everything in its path perfict expan. Buck went maybe 10yds and bellyed up .

LB1

Thanks for your guys helps.. im gonna stop by the sporting goods store and look into the Knight TMZ's and try them out i mean what the heck i got all day friday to get it sighted in. thanks for your guys help

Well IMO, it boils down to this. The 250gr SW/SST is one of THE most accurate muzzleloading bullets out there, period. Not only accuate, it is one better performing bullets on game as well. I've used loads starting with 2-pellet velocities to over 2300fps and it has always worked for me. I wouldn't hesitate to us it.

Also...I'd be WAY more concerned about putting my bullet where it needs to go. No way could I deviate from a proven accurate load in one day...

I agree... Use the 250 SW and never look back. Deer have been lost with practically every bullet out there! Like it or not, that is part of hunting!

It is too late in the season for you to start worrying about bullet selection! Put the bullet in the boiler room and feel free to report back!

What do I use? I like the Parker BE's in 250/275

The T/C 200 grain .50 shockwave work for me and my crew.

Chocdog

shockwaves work for me..

I have taken six whitetail deer with 250 gr shockwaves in two years of hunting ... 100 gr Pyrodex P or two pellets 50/50 pyro.. does the job. HTH.. Les

My favorite bullets do not have the best ballistics but they sure put the game down fast. Barnes 250 MZ and the 260 Winchester Platinum tip.

Latest posts

Back