What do you all think about the "Gain" or progressive rifling twist in a barrel"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is also harder to rifle the barrel, some custom modern center fire barrels have it in today
I'm not aware of its use in modern cartridge rifles, with the exception of the 6.5 x 52 Carcano, which I just learned about recently.

I saw where a barrel transitions from a 1:12 to a 1:8 for a .223 (5.56).

I know from experience (watching a couple friends try to over spin a 6.5 ppc.) too much spin will cause the projectile to disintegrate. To much centrifugal (or angular momentum, as one of our members would say) force on the bullet.

I shoot only patched round ball. I have a rifle with a gain twist rifling and it is "possibly" the most accurate barrel I own. One thing's for sure, it is among the most accurate barrels i own. I cannot shoot well enough to see a difference with "GTR" compared to the others but it has accuracy on par with my others that have uniform twists.

I shoot only patched round ball. I have a rifle with a gain twist rifling and it is "possibly" the most accurate barrel I own. One thing's for sure, it is among the most accurate barrels i own. I cannot shoot well enough to see a difference with "GTR" compared to the others but it has accuracy on par with my others that have uniform twists.
Have you chronographed rifle with a gain twist and other rifles with fixed twists? It would be really interesting to see if there is a difference in velocity between your gain twist rifle and a fixed twist rifle when shooting identical loads.

Your head hurts? How about mine? I fried my brain.
Not to worry ,you got way more to lose than me ! I'm right up there with ground squirrels
(couldn't figure out climbing) so I'm with the chipmunks for sport !/Ed

Latest posts

Back