What do you guys think of this bore??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's a Knight Disc Extreme, GM stainless barrel from about 2004-5. Laminate stock. Guy claims only about 10-20 shots with Pyrodex. He seems to be pretty upfront and has sent me a lot of pics. The issue is with the area just forward of the breech. Take a look:

Breech1_zps0a15d8ff.jpg

Breech2_zpsf80c83a1.jpg

Breech3_zps1e770dc1.jpg

Breech5_zps01b89918.jpg

BreechPlug2_zps102926b1.jpg

BreechPlug_zpsf8fa917b.jpg

The rest of the bore looks perfectly clean. The breech plug looks very clean as well but I don't care so much as I would replace with a Lehigh. Basically it looks like he might have left a load in the barrel for a while.

Worth $350 or should I pass? No hurry to buy, just have some cash set aside for a second ML. I already have the Lehigh plug so am strongly leaning toward a Knight.
[/img]

re. bore

Can't say for sure but looks like from the pics it could be that crud ring versus erosion. Since you say guy has been open with you, might be worth asking him. Rest of bore looks like it will clean up nice.

SteveH

Of course I can not tell for sure... but I think that bore will clean up just fine. Take some JB's bore paste to it - I think it will polish up just fine..

Looks like a crud ring. . . I bet she will polish out ok. . . Pydrodex will produce a crude ring like that after 1 shot.

I would take him waaaay waaaay down on the price. You can find one in VGC for that money.

I don't like it. What price range are we talking? You can buy a new Disc Extreme on Gunbroker for $320 shipped, at least a few recently. It may clean up O.K., just hate to start off on bad footing.

Saw the price, I'd do a hard pass, $200 shipped, maybe.

Just looked, those $320 Knights seem to be gone from Gunbroker.

FWIW, I'll sell my spotless 50 cal SS Thumbhole for the $350 shipped mentioned. I have a few to many Knights for what I do. PM if interested.

It does look like a crud ring, but it could be rust where a load was left in it. It might clean up ok with a good JB scrubbing, but if it is rust once cleaned out it may have some pitting and it will require you to keep after it. It would still shoot fine. His price is quite high for this condition. I personally would go down to about $150 or less or just pass completely. You can find another rifle in better condition for that or less.

Just a thought, but if it is "Just a Crud ring" then why don't he clean it out, crud rings are easy to remove? :?

Thanks for the replies. I would agree that $350 is on the high side, but $150??. I've been on Gunbroker and other sites for a while now and have not found a Disc Extreme (not just an original DISC), stainless and laminate for less than $300. Anyone know of one please let me know.

I will ask him if he can tell if it's crud ring versus rust/corrosion.

Even if it has some pitting there, how would that affect performance negatively? Assuming that is where the powder sits, seems like it should shoot just fine. Could certainly be a bargaining chip though.

I would pass at that price. I have seen some smoking deals on this site. :D

SteveH said:
It's a Knight Disc Extreme, GM stainless barrel from about 2004-5. Laminate stock. Guy claims only about 10-20 shots with Pyrodex. He seems to be pretty upfront and has sent me a lot of pics. The issue is with the area just forward of the breech. Take a look:

Breech1_zps0a15d8ff.jpg

Breech2_zpsf80c83a1.jpg

Breech3_zps1e770dc1.jpg

Breech5_zps01b89918.jpg

BreechPlug2_zps102926b1.jpg

BreechPlug_zpsf8fa917b.jpg

The rest of the bore looks perfectly clean. The breech plug looks very clean as well but I don't care so much as I would replace with a Lehigh. Basically it looks like he might have left a load in the barrel for a while.

Worth $350 or should I pass? No hurry to buy, just have some cash set aside for a second ML. I already have the Lehigh plug so am strongly leaning toward a Knight.
[/img]

All I have to say is that if the crud is at the breech end, I personally wouldn't give a whit about it, its the rest of the barrel that matters, in my opinion.

Aloha.. :cool:

SteveH

In my first post I missed the price of the rifle. At $350 I would say that is a bit stiff. You can get a brand new Extreme for a little more online.

If were in great shape I would thing $300 max and $250 being good.

What you can see in the pic on the surface is only a crud ring. Easily removed with some hot soapy water. The problem is if it is indeed Pyrodex he shot in it, there will be some serious pitting underneath the crud. That stuff is corrosive, if left to sit for more than a day.

Why didn't he clean it after he shot it? A bore brush, or patch with hot soapy water should have knocked that out of there in just a few passes. Looks like he just ran a dry patch ot two, then quit.

Now with that said, I agree that it might not hurt the accuracy one bit, but I wouldn't be paying top dollar for any rifle with that in the bore. Especially when you could get a NOS for the same price or less, or a brand new one for a little more.

It sure shows what type of care the owner takes of his firearms. To me, the rest of the bore doesn't exactly look pristine nor does it shine like a new dime. It would have to be pretty cheap before I'd but it.

looks like crud to me. Tell him to run a brush through it a few times. Either way it shouldnt be a problem where its back near the breech area.
Price does sound a little on the high side.
Muskrat30 sounds like he might have a good deal for you.

Muskrat, what else you got for sale. Shoot me a pm.

How about now?

The guy used something called CVA barrel buster and it looks like he got about 90% of the crud out. Whats left may indeed be corrosion, like Busta said, but I think I may be able to live with it.

Breech7_zps1be74327.jpg

Breech6_zps3a8faf43.jpg

Maybe still not worth $350 but not too far off IMO.

Thoughts?

He made a definite improvement. Looks like most of it was probably the crud ring, but what is left may be some pitting caused by the corrosion. It don't look too bad, but still needs some attention. The thing is that if it is pitting, that means metal is gone and you can't get it back. Will it affect the accuracy? No, I think that as long as the rest of the bore is good it will shoot just fine. That area will just always need a tad more attention to prevent it getting worse. IF it were me, the next step is a real good work out with a rod, very tight patches, and some JB Bore paste to lap it real good. Follow that with a nother good cleaning to get the JB out and then follow up with Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner. I still think that he is asking too much but my $150 estimate just went up to more like $225, at least that is just what I would pay. You can find one as NIB or close for less that $350, but you just have to keep an eye out and be patient. In the end it is up to you and what you are comfortable with.

If you want the rifle, buy it. You could wait a year before you found a better deal. Are they out there? Sure but this is a bird in the hand.

I think the bore looks fine and with good cleaning practices, you'll have no problems.

Latest posts

Back