What scope to buy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
Finally bought a 17 HMR. Now I need a scope for out to 200 yards.
My options should be on the low dollar side. Mostly rabbits etc.
Should I go with a scope with mildot or try a BSA Sweet 17 w/ drop compensation. Has anyone ever used or had one?

Feedback is appreciated... :)

Hey Spit!
I have the BSA AR2-7X32 and AR3-12X40, optically the same scopes as the the two Sweet 17 scope models. I don't think you'd want those scopes. They are made in China and look/function like it too. I paid like $40 to $50 bucks for them and they are certainly not worth any more. Optics are just what you'd expect for $50 and the w/e adjustments are as well. But you DO get lens covers! :lol: I'd probably see if I could get a good deal on the Burris 3-9 Ballistic Plex. Burris states it will work with the .17 HMR.

My one friend owned a BSA & per his xperience it was garbage to say the least. I would opt for a lower end Bushnell or take a look at the Weavers.

Spitpatch said:
Finally bought a 17 HMR. Now I need a scope for out to 200 yards.

Spit, have you ever checked out Rimfire Central? It is THE place for anything rimfire, including the .17 HMR and the .17 HM2. Scroll about a third of the way down the page to the .17 HMR forum or down towards the bottom of the page to the Scopes, Rings, and Mounts forum. You should be able to get a ton of ideas there. There's also a thread on the .17 HMR forum just a few threads down titled "Pics of your .17's" which is 10 pages long. Give this place a look if you haven't already, I think you'll like it!

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

What's trash to one can be a hard working scope to someone else.I've had a 3x12x50 BSA on a Rem.700 30.06 for 6 years.The scope has not been adjusted "with the knobs "in over 400 shots.I did have an accident that bent the bell down.After finding the problem the bell was staightened on the gun in the field.It was the only gun I brought with me and I was 110 miles from home.With no adjustments the gun shot 1/2"lower.I never reset the scope,that was 4 years ago.The only optical draw back is higher than normal sun glare.I've had 26-27 oneshot kills with this combo at ranges from 30 to 350 yards.I bought ($72)this scope because it was the best I could afford at the time.A stroke cause me to close my business and I had no cash flow for Two years.I would buy another if I had to,but only if I had to.
PS- My youngest son has had the same set-up, Except he has a sun shade for his scope.His gun has never been readjusted since the first Sight-in.

Hey Spit,If its only to shoot rabbits and the like who cares if you miss once in awhile put what ever you have laying around and have fun. I have a cheap Simmon's on mine and its a piece of crap but it lays in the barn year round (in WI.) and holds a decent zero, if it doesn't just a click or two and its good. I use it for predators such as racoons,skunks, possums and its a hell of a squirrel rifle. Now if you want to shoot one hole groups that is great and makes a person feel good get a good scope.
For rabbits I just use open sights and shoot at running rabbits probably do this 90 days a year.
Ken

Redclub said:
Hey Spit,If its only to shoot rabbits and the like who cares if you miss once in awhile put what ever you have laying around and have fun. I have a cheap Simmon's on mine and its a piece of crap but it lays in the barn year round (in WI.) and holds a decent zero, if it doesn't just a click or two and its good. I use it for predators such as racoons,skunks, possums and its a hell of a squirrel rifle. Now if you want to shoot one hole groups that is great and makes a person feel good get a good scope.
For rabbits I just use open sights and shoot at running rabbits probably do this 90 days a year.
Ken

Ken....I threw on an older Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 I had laying around and that gun absolutely shoots as good as the scope will allow...3 holes touching at 100! All under a dime! Wow!! trigger is under a pound...

I think with the proper magnification, no wind, and a good rest it's ground squirrels at 200 yards!

Hey Spit, what kinda .17HMR ya got anyway?? Sounds like its a shooter! :shock: :D

Nic_58 said:
Hey Spit, what kinda .17HMR ya got anyway?? Sounds like its a shooter! :shock: :D

Just a basic Marlin 17 Varmit, blue in wood w/bull barrel. Nothin' special except the accuracy.

Man I'm still shiverin' 8)

Latest posts

Back