What temperature is too hot to hunt?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slyder432

Reaction score
This has been an ongoing issue with my hunting partner. He believes that it must be 40 degrees or below to hunt Whitetail or Turkey in Indiana. He believes that the harvest is not edible while field dressing and preparing in temps higher than 40 degrees. Right now we are having 50 degree days or higher. What temp is too hot to hunt?[/b] Losing out on alot of field time!!!! I must say that I have not seen many hunters out.

Thoughts and opinions needed!!

Here in Pa our morning temps are between 30 and 50 rising to any where from 50 to 80 (typical October weather) I hunt every chance I get and when I am successful I haven't lost any meat.......as long as you find the animal in a reasonable legnth of time field dress it and get ice in the cavity you should have no problems with spoiling.....At 50 or below I will let them lay overnight and recover them in the AM still no meat loss

You are righta ;ot of field time lost. Go ahead and hunt just get ice on the game harvested asap. Or get them in a cooler, which evedr you can.

What ever temperatures you can stand...

The main thing with game is to cool the body cavity and get the animal refrigerated or on ice ASAP. In hot weather that is a real concern. In the muzzleloader season of Northern WI.. we worry the animal will freeze solid before we get a chance to get the hide off it. I hate to skin a deer that is frozen solid.

temp

Here in Florida I bowhunt when it's been in the 80's. I think the coolest it got was maybe in the high 60's for this years bow season. I never had a issue with meat spoiling. You just have to take good shots and make a timely recovery. I process deer and put it in a cooler with ice. Right now it's muzzleloader season and the temps are between 60 and 70. GO HUNT!

Latest posts

Back