What the heck do we have here?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Was walking out of a pawn shop today and as I was leaving, nicely said, get some muzzle loaders! He chuckled and asked if Im interested in a 58cal (possibly a 54cal) over under pistol. Now that got my interest! He went in the storage room and came back out with this. He has no clue what it is, how old, how much its worth, and I havent a clue either.

Your thoughts?
7_zps5edf1270.jpg

6_zps5066c160.jpg

1_zpsfaaac993.jpg

3_zpse40690a8.jpg

5_zps0853ab60.jpg

Trap door hiding a screw that I assume holds the stock to the main frame?
4_zps8dc97c65.jpg

ZERO markings anywhere externally on this thing. It also uses musket nipples which are really worn down and out of shape.

My guess is British, or at least European, based on the Damascus barrels. The thing is though, I don't see any engraving on any of the metal surfaces and just about every British gun I have ever seen had some.
The screw is a real puzzle. Just looking at how things line up, I don't see how it can be holding anything together. Is there any evidence, not visible in the photo, that the stock may have been cracked or broken at some time? The screw looks like it is brass, and I can't recall ever seeing an original to the gun brass screw on an old gun. I would have thought the butt recess was for caps.
At any rate, it is a neat piece of work. Worth having for show and tell even if it is never shot.
I'll try to remember to check a few of my books later to see if there is anything similar.

oh no, this sucker has engraving all over the barrel, tang, trigger plate, etc. Its just hard to see in the poor quality pics.

After mentioning the 'unsafe' Damascus steel barrels, offer him $45 and see what he does.
I think it's worth more than that but you couldn't go wrong with a price in that ballpark.

Never seen anything like it.  In its day, I sure wouldn't want to be looking down those big barrels  :face:  at close range.

what the heck

It looks British, I would value it between 450.00-650.00.
nice piece.
Nit Wit

Back