What would you do

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just goes to show you everybody is different! I had an unpleasant experience just this week when I had a CVA Wolf shipped from Florida to New York, The shipper was great, but the gun shop I had it sent to did a background check on me and then charged me $64.80 to transfer the rifle to me!!! Every other shop I called said it was only $30 to $35 to transfer it! Needless to say I will not be doing any business with that shop again.

Just goes to show you everybody is different! I had an unpleasant experience just this week when I had a CVA Wolf shipped from Florida to New York, The shipper was great, but the gun shop I had it sent to did a background check on me and then charged me $64.80 to transfer the rifle to me!!! Every other shop I called said it was only $30 to $35 to transfer it! Needless to say I will not be doing any business with that shop again.
I guess I might be out of the loop on this one but but I've never had to go through a transfer on a black powder rifle. They have always shipped directly straight to me....? Is this something New York related??

unless NY has a state-system check mandated by law, FFL's aren't permitted to use the NICS system under the GCA for "primitive firearms"... so either they are charging one heck of a "convenience fee", using a state-system, or are violating law by running checks for a primitive arm.

I was checking the for sale ads on the other muzzleloader site, looking for a particular part when I found a guy selling several items as a package deal.
I contacted him asking if he would sell the one part I'm interested in.
In the meantime, I contacted the gun works/muzzleloading emporium. They have the same part, brand new for 50 bucks.
The guy finally got back to me with a price on his used part. He wants 45 bucks for it.
I messaged him back and said, ah, I appreciate your time.
The guy messaged me back this morning and said that I WASTED HIS TIME !
I messaged him back and told him to keep his part.
I just don't get people. If I have something for sale, I don't expect someone to jump on it. No hard feelings, life is too short.

The guy is an asshole. He should understand you have the 100% right to decide either to make the purchase or pass on it.

I mean, the fee is $200 for a Class 1 (normal gunshop FFL) or $150 for a class 7 (MFG and sales)... for 3 years (if you want to do NFA items, it costs a little more to register as an SOT, and you may have to register with the state dept., depending on what NFA items you produce (ITARS), which would increase the cost a bit). I can see charging $1-5 per transfer to make the money back and pay for your time doing the transfer... but the prices some people are charging for transfers are simply taking advantage of an artificial monopoly on firearms transfers in a predatory manner.

$150 class 7 license / 3 years = $50/yr. Do 10 transfers at $5 and you've covered your application cost for the year.

Latest posts

Back