When do your Bucks Shed their Antlers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was last season about 2nd week in December in NY. Admittedly on very steep ground. After he came to rest both antlers were missing. Found along his tumble route.
View attachment 30194
Nice buck and nice rifle. Is that a Ruger? To stay on thread I took a walk last Saturday and saw a fresh rub make by a big buck. Here in upstate NY Some have dropped their antlers some are still sporting them as by evidence of new rubs. I have seen bucks here with antlers in late February. I had a shot at a buck during holiday hunt this year but passed because he already shed his antlers so it varies.

My brother shot a nice buck on the 1st day of Ohio's gun season about 10yrs ago and when he found it, it had lost both antlers! He found both of em! I got one a few years later during muzzleloader season and it had already shed its antlers. Usually it's around February here in S.Ohio.

Nice buck and nice rifle. Is that a Ruger? To stay on thread I took a walk last Saturday and saw a fresh rub make by a big buck. Here in upstate NY Some have dropped their antlers some are still sporting them as by evidence of new rubs. I have seen bucks here with antlers in late February. I had a shot at a buck during holiday hunt this year but passed because he already shed his antlers so it varies.
Ruger #3 with custom wood. .35 Brown-Whelen. (I am a transplant from out West - one of my fav Elk guns. only 6.5lbs 22" barrel)

Last edited:
Ruger #3 with custom wood. .35 Brown-Whelen. (I am a transplant from out West - one of my fav Elk guns. only 6.5lbs 22" barrel)
I have two. custom 3s, 22H and 444 M..At least you shot this nice buck uphill LOL. Here in S/C Wy from the middle of Dec thru Last of Feb as a rule. We have quite a few "town" deer so easy to monitor. Here is Big Boy, been at our birdfeeder many years now. Disappears down on the river on private during season, smart!

Attachments

• Big Boy 1122.jpg
    Big Boy 1122.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • P1090005.JPG
    P1090005.JPG
    701 KB · Views: 0
I read that they carry there antlers as long as there are does to be bred. Saw one tonight with his antlers, Western New York State. On the other hand I have seen older past prime bucks lose their antlers much earlier, like late November. I think health of the deer may have something to do with it as well.

I have two. custom 3s, 22H and 444 M..At least you shot this nice buck uphill LOL. Here in S/C Wy from the middle of Dec thru Last of Feb as a rule. We have quite a few "town" deer so easy to monitor. Here is Big Boy, been at our birdfeeder many years now. Disappears down on the river on private during season, smart!
NTTH, but gotta comment....gorgeous buck!

Back