which muzzleloader winchester or cva???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monsterdawg725

Reaction score
this may have been asked before but im in the market for a new muzzleloader for hunting as i do not have a muzzleloader at the moment ive been looking at the cva kodiak in nickel/black and the winchester in stainless/black i can get the winchester with a scope for the same price as the cva without the scope which is the better gun? any body use either of these? is their any advantages to getting either if 45 or 50 cal? thanks for any info.

My answer is don't buy either. Honestly the quality of both those guns is the same. But thats my opinion, many like both those guns.

.45 is great for deer, but illegal in many states to hunt elk. If you ever plan on doing any elk hunting get a .50.

Also, 50 cal bullets and accessories are more prolific and easier to come by. But as stated, they are both great deer calibers.

Buy american for an inline: Knight, White, Savage (smokeless) or T/C. Spending a little extra money is worth it IMO; also I would go with a 50cal for the versatility.

Whitesmoke

You may be too late on those Winchesters at Cabelas - but I DO NOT advise your getting the packaged scope. You can certainly do better for optics.

I bought a CVA Optima package at Cabelas and I am very pleased. I have the Nickel with black stock. I sighted in at 100 yds (1inch group) with 250 grain shockwave and 100 grain of 777 pellets. My first shot hunting produced a large doe at 90 yards or so. This is my first ML and I like the quality and feel of the CVA Optima. You can buy a higher end ML but for the price you cant beat this gun.

Buy the "best gun" you can afford. Look around some times you can find a "good deal" on a high quality model,that's a left over,or last years model.

I bought a winchester apex last year to hunt with. I guess for the money it was okay. Nothing really to brag about. Okay in accuracy. A little heavy and awkward to carry. Workmanship and quality is what I would expect for the price. Flip a coin if you have to buy either as I believe they are made by the same manufacturer in spain.

Flip a coin if you have to buy either as I believe they are made by the same manufacturer in spain.

Absolutely correct.

If a CVA is what you want..I'd probably get a Optima/Wolf. Most of them seem to be accurate guns. The one I shot in Kentucky was...

i was at a local wally world and found a cva kodiak with the blue barrel and camo stock for 150 so i baught it i just have to get it to the range and try it out now

i also bought one at wally world last week for 150 they were clearenced priced. hope it shoots like my other cva

Ultratec00 is correct. CVA and Winchester muzzleloaders are one and the same manufacturer.

I would advise buying American made. It just makes sense.

BP

WallyWorld had TC Omega Z5 Blued w/black stock or the kits for $179.00 around here but they were going like hotcakes...

Beware !!!

The Winchesters and the CVA's are inferior firearms to the KNights,Savage and the T/C's , they are potentially dangerous because the barrels are made in Spain and the pressures that they can withstand , which are stamped I belive on there barrels don't compare to the better muzzleloaders that I mentioned earlier , so be careful and use lighter load or you may cause injury to yourself or others , by no means are they at all consider magnum muzzleloaders . I suggest no loads over 100 grains with any powder , pay the extra dough and get some quality . 8)

Latest posts

Back