Which one to hunt with?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. Quick question. Shooting a T/C omega .50 this year. Looking for input on Hornady 250 Sst or 250 Ftx. Both group the same in my rifle. Max range 150 yds. Most shots around 50 yds. 100 grains by volume blackhorn 209. Does one preform better than the other? Chasing illinois whitetails. Thanks for any input. Dcl

I believe the FTX are slightly thicker jacket and hold together better. SST bullets fragment easier.

You could also use the 250 grain XTP. More available and less expensive. They do make a lovely batch of chest soup! I've taken 13 deer with this bullet. All save one were pass throughs. The one I found was 3/4" across and still weighed 238 grains.
If your limiting to 150 yards, the XTP will serve you well.
Good fortune to ya!

Hi guys. Quick question. Shooting a T/C omega .50 this year. Looking for input on Hornady 250 Sst or 250 Ftx. Both group the same in my rifle. Max range 150 yds. Most shots around 50 yds. 100 grains by volume blackhorn 209. Does one preform better than the other? Chasing illinois whitetails. Thanks for any input. Dcl

Another Illinois muzzy hunter. I'm northern Illinois myself, north of Aurora in the tri-cities area. I hunt southwest of Springfield, though.

There are many other bullets that I'd seek out & use over the SST's. In fact I personally won't hunt with them at all. THOR, Fed Borelock, or Barnes in a sabot are all far better choices to use in your Omega. Notice how no one is recommending powerbelts to you in here. LOL There is an enormous Omega FanBoy club in here too, me being one of them. Heck, get yourself some 285g Fury Universal fit bullets. You can't go wrong with those either

I set up a young man with an Omega loaded with the 250 Monoflex in the supplied sabot over 100 gr BH209 for the Illinois youth season a month ago. During practice, the load shot 1" groups at 100 yd for me and he was consistently shooting <3" groups. He took an adult doe with a 100 yd broadside shot. We had practiced for center lung shots but he actually hit her just in front of the point of the shoulder, understandable for his 1st shot at a live deer, shattering the short ribs on entry and exit and taking out the top of both lungs.
I was watching the shot with binoculars to she how she reacted in case we had to track her but she dropped like a rag doll, never moving a muscle. You couldn't ask for better performance from a bullet.

Latest posts

Back