Which primer do you use?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What primer do you use most often?

• CCI 209

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CCI 209M

• Federal 209A

• Remington STS

• Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remington 209-4

• Winchester W209

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have had good luck with CCI 209Ms. I have used the Federals and Winchesters also but the CCIs get the nod when hunting.

I'm in the Federal camp too. 209A never let me down.

I started out with the Win 209 and they worked well. Like to be consistent so will keep using them.

No misfires with either Fed 209As or the Win 209s after about 250 rounds. However the Federals seem to be more difficult to dislodge from my Savage 10ML2 breechplug after the shot. This concerned me because I could potentially be loosening the breechplug with the tight, spent primers. I switched to the Winchesters and they are much less prone to "sticking" in the breechplug. I have not seen a performance or accuracy difference with either primer.

Fed. 209A in the original 10ML because they are the hottest 209 primer made

Winchester 209 in the 10 II, because it does not like the Federals at all. About 1 out of 10 Fed. 209 A will not go off in it

IAhunter said:
No misfires with either Fed 209As or the Win 209s after about 250 rounds. However the Federals seem to be more difficult to dislodge from my Savage 10ML2 breechplug after the shot.

They should be-- Federals are larger.

It depends on the breechplug. If Federals drop out, they are a great choice. If not, Winchester.

As is, I'm getting similar or higher velocities (generalization) with the .033 ventliner / Winchester 209 than factory ventliner / Federal 209A.

RandyWakeman said:
IAhunter said:
No misfires with either Fed 209As or the Win 209s after about 250 rounds. However the Federals seem to be more difficult to dislodge from my Savage 10ML2 breechplug after the shot.

They should be-- Federals are larger.

It depends on the breechplug. If Federals drop out, they are a great choice. If not, Winchester.

As is, I'm getting similar or higher velocities (generalization) with the .033 ventliner / Winchester 209 than factory ventliner / Federal 209A.
And more with the .033 AND Fed 209A.

If the Fed's are to tight a #21 drill bit or reamer in and out of the primer opening on the breech worked great for me!

Savage Shooter said:
And more with the .033 AND Fed 209A.

If the Fed's are to tight a #21 drill bit or reamer in and out of the primer opening on the breech worked great for me!

That's a very good tip right there--. :!:

5744 / SR4759 / N110 is one thing, but where that approach shines is with slower burning powders. I can't say it will change your day with AA 5744, but it makes N120 sing.

I picked the CCI 209M 'cause they don't stick like the Fed's. (ML-I and II) I'll be taking the ML-II breechplug to work on Tuesday and introduce it to a #21 drill. Thanks. Never had a misfire with the CCI's.

Thank you for having me , Dan USCG Ret. Cape Cod Ma. I use a Winchester Primer

Latest posts

Back