Primer question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Being that I'll likely be into this soon I have a question on primers. Hank's system is for large rifle primers. I have some but these days they're rarer than hen's teeth and I want to save them for my CFs.
Dont you think you can use lg pistol mag primers? I have hundreds of those. From what I've read the LPP are shorter by .008" and the cup material is thinner. Std LPP aren't as hot as LRP and may not ignite powder reliably. But the smokeless powder for muzzleloaders like 4198 and 4227 should be fairly easy to ignite with a LPP mag .

Last edited:
Maybe its just me, but I like all the fire and heat that I can get to the powder regardless of it being smokeless or a black/sub. That said, I think you'd do well to search of a supply of large rifle magnum primers or at least large rifle. I don't use a module plug in my Patriot and I have no issues with IMR4198 and Winchester W209 primers down to 33 degrees and the primers seal wonderfully so I haven't even considered a module plug.

Latest posts

Back