While not game or fish....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
.... it's still right out of our oven. Cinnamon /raisin loaves.

My grandmother taught me how to make bread when I was 12 years old. I still love making and eating fresh bread. These loaves were done by hand, but we do have a bread machine sitting here that doesn't get as much use as my palms do. While this sweet bread is so sort of delicious, my favorite to make is a honey/oatmeal/whole wheat bread. If I don't have time, the machine does this pet bread but it can't compare to that which is done by hand.

Attachments

• 420290284_2017722448603205_1060907762110421893_n.jpg
    420290284_2017722448603205_1060907762110421893_n.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
Yum, with home made jam????
The first loaf was eaten with butter. The second has been cut and some strawberry freezer jam was used with the butter. I'll try it with the strawberry and peanut butter today.

My grandmother taught me how to make bread when I was 12 years old. I still love making and eating fresh bread. These loaves were done by hand, but we do have a bread machine sitting here that doesn't get as much use as my palms do. While this sweet bread is so sort of delicious, my favorite to make is a honey/oatmeal/whole wheat bread. If I don't have time, the machine does this pet bread but it can't compare to that which is done by hand.
Awesome!

How about a recipe??

1/2 cup of warm [110 degree] water with 5 tsp of regular yeast [not rapid rise][2 regular packets of yeast]. Stir to blend well
1-1/2 cups warm whole milk
1/2cup sugar
2 tsp salt
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup of softened shortening
7 to 7-1/2 cups of flour

Combine all the liquids, eggs, sugar, shortening and salt and whisk well. Slowly whisk in the flour until about half has been added, then switch to a heavy spoon while adding the remaining flour or as much as you can add while still stirring. Flour your counter top and turn the batter out on it and begin to knead, adding flour as you go untiul the dough is smooth and elastic and not sticky, maybe 12-15 minutes. Use shortning to coat the inside of a large bowl, add dough then flip so both sides are oiled. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until double in size. Separate the dough into two pieces. roll each piece out to roughly 10"X12" rectangle. Spread each heavily with soft butter, sprinkle generously with sugar and sprinkle with ground cinammon and raisins. Roll into loaves and place in greased bread pans, cover with towel and let rise until double.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Bake about 22 minutes or until the loaves are browned evenly and sound hollow when lightly tapped. Cool about ten minutes then carefully drop from pan. Lightly butter the tops while still hot.

Slice and enjoy when cooled.

I want the recipe for the honey/oatmeal/whole wheat bread.

I want the recipe for the honey/oatmeal/whole wheat bread.
You can do this with just about any white bread recipe by omitting one cup of the white flour and substituting 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour and a half cup of regular [not fast cook] oatmeal. Instead of any sugar, add 1/4 cup of honey. You can add 1/4 cup of wheat bran as well and add an additional 2 tablespoons of water.

If you opt for more whole wheat flour you should add some wheat gluten to help keep the dough elastic and not sticky. If you add, say, a cup of the whole wheat flour in lieu of one cup of the white flour, add 1/4 cup of gluten to the batch.

When you're making bread, watch the barometer! A high barometer can mess with the bread dough's ability to rise as it should. I always make bread when the barometer is dropping or at a low point.

Latest posts

Back