Whiskey?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife's brother cooks whiskey. Set his garage on fire last summer. Has some in charred kegs "aging". The fresh stuff tastes like Everclear with a hint of brake fluid. Strongly suspect the "aged" stuff will taste like Everclear, brake fluid, and a really dirty bar-b-que grill. Don't know.

Had opportunities to try moonshine over the years - all crystal clear, powerful stuff. Prefer Irish whiskey, especially in Bailey's.

Woodford is a go-to everyday, good straight, good for cocktails. Weller is delicious if I can ever find it and I have a bottle of Pappy Van WInkle that I'm holding onto till one of my kids ever gets married! But since they are 17 and 14, it may be...I am hoping it will be- a while.
For Scotch, both the missus and I would take Macallan as our "desert island" hooch. Or Glenfarclas 12.

For the money, Eagle Rare is really hard to beat. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Old Forester or Blantons yet. Old Elk is another one that's solid.

I like GRANNY RICH RESERVE from Big &, Rich. Smooth as silk and a percentage goes to FOLDS OF HONOR to provide scholarships for the children of our fallen heroes!

My go to cocktail is either Ezra Brooks 90 proof Kentucky bourbon or Bulleit rye and Kroger's ginger beer ....it has a spicy ginger bite to it that I really like. For sipping I like 1792 which is a very smooth wheated small batch bourbon or Knob Creek 15 year bourbon or my favorite...Joseph Magnus Bourbon Pursuit Selection which is a 13 year old wonder of complexity and deliciousness. Wonderful stuff but it is very hard to find and very expensive but IMO well worth it as a treat or for when another fan of fine whiskey drops by.

A half gallon jug of Black Velvet and a hundred dollar bill used to be able to get your moose out of the North Maine Woods if there was a skidder working in the area. With current off road fuel prices we may have to reach for some top shelf stuff and a little deeper in the wallet.

Attachments

• ken skidder moose.jpg
    ken skidder moose.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 15
This weekend mine was body temperature. My flask resided in my coat pocket at my son’s wedding. The son laughed when I showed him and said what will you need that for. As soon as the words came out of his mouth my wife walked up and said the bar isn’t open and I need a drink. Out pops the flask and life was good.

I like a lot of different bourbons/whiskeys, go to’s would be anything Woodford, anything Old Forester, anything Michters, anything Wild Turkey, Blanton’s when I can find it, then a whole bunch of others lol

Jim Beam Devil’s Cut is my go to. But I’m quite fond of Bulleit Bourbon as well. Jim Beam Double Oak is also very tasty.

Me too! Old Grandad and Vernor's (Detroit traditional ginger ale). When I was young, the three letter acronym 'WTF' held widespread meaning for me.
Now that I'm old (er), that same acronym holds even deeper meaning...

Ah yes makers mark . Evan Williams black label Evan Williams peach Evan Williams Cherry Jim Beam Peach Evan Williams Cherry & if you can still find it Very Old Weller Just a tall shooter every now & then around a winter bonfire . In younger years Mescal with lime slices until the agave worm gave me multiple visions . Never give an Indian Tequila or Whiskey .

Back