Whisky thread

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Not sure if there are any other whisky drinkers here but if so I'd love to know what you enjoy savouring.

I've been working through a bottle of 20yo Canadian Club for something different lately, hasn't been too bad.

Like any good Aussie I love rum, this El Dorado 15yo is an absolute pearler, my favourite yet.
20200925_173342.jpg

Just cracked open a bottle of Bladnoch 11yo single malt scotch, very approachable dram. Lovely example of lowland scotch whisky.

20201126_155716.jpg

I certainly respect peoples ability to abstain, I do enjoy it but not to excess. Nothing wrong with a bottle of Jack or turkey though I always have one handy.

Well over a year of my Life tucked away in Jail, actually Various Jails, Helped me Give up on ANY Form of Drinking Alcohol. It’s a wonder I didn’t Kill anyone, in various ways

I have been sober for well over 10 years now, it’s best for me, and EVERYONE around me that i stay that way :lewis:

Was a beer guy for many years. Then went to Canadian Reserve in whisky sour. About all we have any more. Have made a few batches of "Apple Pie Moonshine" from Clawhammer Supply out of Colorado. Makes a nice sipping drink and making it yourself gives it a bit of extra touch.

Congrats Lewis, keep up the good work!

I might have a beer a month. Some beers and my A-Fib are not good company so I'm cautious about having beer when out or away and if I am driving I drink soda or water.
I have 5 bottles of bourbon: Markers Mark Special Select, Knob Creek, 4 Roses Small Batch, Buckhorn Reserve and Eliah Craig. I cook with the Craig while the others sit on a shelf in my shop where I might sip on a finger or so every once in a great while working on tackle projects. None of the shop bottles are anywhere near half gone and they've been out there for ten years. I like a little good bourbon straight up but a little goes a long way with me. Occasionally I get a buddy over that likes a shot and I'll share some time with a finger in a glass but for the most part my life does not hinge on any alcohol.

I too have been down some unsavory roads with drinking and feel today that if I can't drink it and enjoy it, it ain't happening. I don't drink for a buzz and never set foot in the vehicles if I have had a nip within 4 hours. Life is short to begin with and gets shorter with each day so I enjoy and I don't waste it.

So Bushfire.....what sort of concoction are you cooking up there with eggs, rum, and an orange that calls for a strainer?

Congrats Lewis, keep up the good work!

I might have a beer a month. Some beers and my A-Fib are not good company so I'm cautious about having beer when out or away and if I am driving I drink soda or water.
I have 5 bottles of bourbon: Markers Mark Special Select, Knob Creek, 4 Roses Small Batch, Buckhorn Reserve and Eliah Craig. I cook with the Craig while the others sit on a shelf in my shop where I might sip on a finger or so every once in a great while working on tackle projects. None of the shop bottles are anywhere near half gone and they've been out there for ten years. I like a little good bourbon straight up but a little goes a long way with me. Occasionally I get a buddy over that likes a shot and I'll share some time with a finger in a glass but for the most part my life does not hinge on any alcohol.

I too have been down some unsavory roads with drinking and feel today that if I can't drink it and enjoy it, it ain't happening. I don't drink for a buzz and never set foot in the vehicles if I have had a nip within 4 hours. Life is short to begin with and gets shorter with each day so I enjoy and I don't waste it.

So Bushfire.....what sort of concoction are you cooking up there with eggs, rum, and an orange that calls for a strainer?

I guess I'm lucky that I've never had any issues with it so it's something I still look at positively. I'm also fortunate in a way that i suffer from bad migraine/headaches that last for days which doctors still can't work out after blood tests and brain scans etc. One of the big triggers is alcohol so I'm limited to very small amounts, I don't think of it as a bad thing.

That was just our messy kitchen, my usual thing is about a shots worth with a splash of water or a little ice and sip away for a while. I drink it to taste it more than consume it if that's makes sense.
I do have a whisky sour or old fashioned from time to time.

There are lots of fables about Australia but I guess it is true that we have a big drinking culture.

Father in law brought up a bottle of Jim Beam Devils Cut this past weekend and man was that tasty! Normally just a beer guy.

Years ago I got a little bored and thought about making wine. I'm type 2 diabetic so figured that wasn't the thing to do. I am skilled at chemistry so escalated to building a still. It produces 160 proof.

I have a friend who dismantles barns and gets me red oak. Not white oak which is traditional bourbon. I burn it on the grill and soak it in the 160 proof for months. Ive been told by some serious bourbon drinkers I can compete with the best. (side note: If a piece of red oak was in a barn for 125 years or so and the tree was 100 years old when they cut it down that's 225 year old wood. Like sipping history)

I also have a recipe to which I add Ocean Spray flavored juices. I make cherry, raspberry, and blackberry mostly. Also some apple pie from the Everclear recipe. I age mine for a minimum of 6 months before serving. They are flavorful and don't really kick your butt. They are after dinner sweet drinks for sipping.

Now Ill tell you I don't drink but a couple times a year. A group of us has been going every September to the U.P. of Michigan trout fishing for 35 years. They all look forward to sipping on my beverages as we sit around the fire at night and I join in.

I'm expecting Michiganmuzzy to come on a deer drive in a couple of weeks. Im going to send him home with a few quarts. Let him and the his Mrs. give it a try.

When I was in Spain their main drink was Rum & coke. They would make 3 drinks out of a small bottle of coke. Water glass size filled with ice a splash or two of coke and rest was rum. About $0.12 a drink at that time served to your table in the 4 lane street divider. Only have a few drinks with rum since.

I think snapbank uses the same recipe for his apple pie moonshine as I do but I like the vodka better than the everclear.

When I was in Spain their main drink was Rum & coke. They would make 3 drinks out of a small bottle of coke. Water glass size filled with ice a splash or two of coke and rest was rum. About $0.12 a drink at that time served to your table in the 4 lane street divider. Only have a few drinks with rum since.

I think snapbank uses the same recipe for his apple pie moonshine as I do but I like the vodka better than the everclear.

I think wine and coke is called Callimocho over there, I didn't try it but should have. My wife and I drank a lot of Sangria in Spain, that while leaning on a bench in a little street in Donostia eating pintxos is one of my great memories.

I do brew my own beer and help my father inlaw with his wine but we can't run stills here unfortunately. I do envy you guys on that part!

I visited Jack Daniels distillery and was very disappointed, The cheap tour is not available but the expensive one is.Done with Jack. They are all good, somes better than others. I've had the expensive, I think Jim Beam is about the best for the money. Bourbon and coke or bourbon on ice. Moderation folks, moderation!
Nit Wit

After my Diabetic episode 3 years ago i very seldom drink beer anymore. My dietechian at the time said no more beer, too much sugar, whiskey, no sugar. I check my blood sugar twice a day now. I have found not a lot of difference between beer and whiskey. As long as whiskey is on rocks or with branch water it is diabetic tolerant, no coke. My preference is Lone Star beer or Crown Royal or Canadian Hunter whiskeys. A bottle of Crown will last me 6 months or more.
DL

Back