White birds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw something interesting in the last few weeks. It was a group of six jakes. The odd thing is that three of them are white. I have seen them twice now in a pasture about 3/4 of a mile from the house. I going to start carrying my camera in the truck to see if I can get some pictures to post. It would be great to get permission to hunt this spot but it is on a well traveled road so I amagin several have already been knocking on the farmers door by now. I'll see if I can get some photos though.

Don B.

A couple of springs ago, I saw an adult gobbler that was entirely white except for the normal head/neck colorations and his beard was the normal black. He sure stood out in the flock of turkeys that he was hanging out with!

Is that white color a natural trait of genetics that just happens, or did they by chance cross somewhere down the line with a domestic white turkey? I never seen a white one (other then on the farm of course). That would be really a pleasure.

Cayuga
It's a genetics thing. I heard of and have seen several white wild birds before. The dnr says they are not considered albinos and that they have a weak genetics and should be harvested if possible so as not to pass on there genes. It would be a neat one to have thats for sure.
Don B.

I shot at a mature tom a few years ago that had similar traits. I missed him completely. Just about cried! That would have been a good mount.

They are called a Smokey Grey, it is a abnormal color variation of a wild turkey. I'm not sure if it's in all the subspecies but appears to be fairly common in the Eastern subspecies. I have seen one and read lots of reports of them here in MI. I would like to take a big tom colored that way, it would be a full body mount for sure. :D

My wife said she saw some white turkey's at the lake lot down in Mound City, Ks. I didnt believe until I had done some research with the people that live on the lake year round.

Good friend killed a smokey grey hen with a eight inch beard this past October in Ohio. It was a beautiful bird

I shot this pic of a wild white hen turkey a little over a week ago. I took the two photos I got and merged them into one with some photo editing software. The right side is the first shot, she stepped behind a tree when I took the photo. She was heading away at a good clip, so I was forced to snap another less than perfect pic before she disappeared.

Wish I had a better camera and a better photo op, but ya deal with what ya got.
albinomontage2.jpg

WOW!! that is a cool pic. My buddy raised White turkeys on his farm. Big rascals. That was why I wondered about them. That's pretty cool seeing them in the wild like that.

She had great camo for the past snowy winter, but I bet she is really going to stick out sitting on a nest this spring. :(

They have them in south dakota when i go there every year to hunt.
The outfitter told us you don't have to have a tag for them.Dnr wants them out of the herd,i never seen one this year of course,when he said we can take one

Latest posts

Back