white muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewMexicoElk

Reaction score
can I load an hunt with my muzzle loader with out fireing a cap in the barrel? and what kind of windex should I use to clean it with?

NewMexicoElk said:
can I load an hunt with my muzzle loader with out fireing a cap in the barrel? and what kind of windex should I use to clean it with?

I use and prefer regular blue windex...

I always shoot a couple of caps the first time I load a newly cleaned gun. I want to make sure the nipple and breech plug are clear of any oils or moisture.

Between shots, even after using a slighly damp windex patch I do not shoot caps between shots...

With that White Rifle... it don't hurt to pop a couple #11 caps through it. Just use alcohol to wipe the oil out of the barrel and then pop a cap or two. Once you load it you are all set.

If you don't want to pop a cap... take the breech plug out before you load. And then wipe the barrel out with alcohol. And wipe the breech plug out with alcohol. Then make sure you blow some air through that breech plug to make sure it is nice and clean. Then tape that breech plug, put it all back together, and load it. Should be fine.

As for the Windex.. even the cheap dollar store Windex works just fine. Lightly mist that patch before you swab.

sabotloader said:
NewMexicoElk said:
can I load an hunt with my muzzle loader with out firing a cap in the barrel? and what kind of windex should I use to clean it with?

I always shoot a couple of caps the first time I load a newly cleaned gun. I want to make sure the nipple and breech plug are clear of any oils or moisture.

Between shots, even after using a slightly damp Windex patch I do not shoot caps between shots...

Do you run a patch down the barrel after firing off the cap(s)/primer(s)?

If you listen to Doc, he prefers you fire a squib load of approx 20-30 grains of powder to fowl the bore before you load your hunting load. You may find your rifle's point of impact may change from your first round?

smyrnagc said:
sabotloader said:
NewMexicoElk said:
can I load an hunt with my muzzle loader with out firing a cap in the barrel? and what kind of windex should I use to clean it with?

Between shots, even after using a slightly damp Windex patch I do not shoot caps between shots...

Do you run a patch down the barrel after firing off the cap(s)/primer(s)?

I do... but probably do not need to before that first shot...

edmehlig said:
If you listen to Doc, he prefers you fire a squib load of approx 20-30 grains of powder to fowl the bore before you load your hunting load. You may find your rifle's point of impact may change from your first round?

My Super 91 .451 shoots the first shot from a clean barrel about an inch lower than the fouled bore shots at 100 yds. YMMV

All three of my Whites shoot to a different POI on a clean barrel then a dirty barrel. But I normally foul the bore anyway. Then clean the rifle at the end of the day.

cayuga said:
All three of my Whites shoot to a different POI on a clean barrel then a dirty barrel. But I normally foul the bore anyway. Then clean the rifle at the end of the day.

+1

I should have mentioned that in my previous post. Sorry.

Latest posts

Back