Muzzleloading shotgun questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfonzi29

Reaction score
I recently acquired a TK2000, have yet to fire it. I got Knight shot cups, which come with cork overshot wads. My questions are:

1. Do I need overpowder wad? I’ve seen them mentioned on other threads here. YouTube video from Knight just loaded shotcup directly onto powder…

2. Do you clean bore inbetween shots? I do with my Traditions 50 caliber…should I do the same with muzzleloader shotgun?

Thanks!

Depends on the components you’re using. Probably don’t need an over powder wad but you may see better patterns (with lead shot) if you give them a little cushioning (and/or buffering) so they don’t deform as much upon ignition. I use one. There are lots of good options in 12 ga wads/shot cups - you don’t necessarily have to spring for Knight cups. You may want to try some TSS shot too - its head and shoulders better than lead.

As for cleaning (swabbing), I’ve never found it necessary with 777 in my shotgun especially if you’re using a lubed over powder wad. Which powder are you gonna use?

I don’t have a Knight but I do shoot a White Tominator 12 ga. This is my current turkey load:

5 grV black powder igniter
85 grV 2F 777
lubed wool wad
TUPRW12 wad
2 oz #9 TSS shot (with a 1/4” 20 ga felt wad in the bottom of the wad to take up space)
1/4” wool felt over shot wad

Thanks for the great info. Plan to use Triple 7 powder. Would love to shoot TSS but just ordered Knight Red Hot #4 and #6 so I guess I’ll try that first. Might get some shot buffer.

Latest posts

Back