WHITEHOTS?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yancho64

Reaction score
It is getting closer to the season here in Michigan, and once again I am falling behind. I did purchase the shim kit from CVA and was wondering what would be a good starting point to start with? .017 is what someone told me, so I thought I would ask the experts on this forum. Also CVA recommended Whitehots, 100gr. with a 270gr. powerbelt and winchester 209 primer (not triple se7en primers) SORRY, I am shooting a cva optima 50 cal. with the QRBP. one more thing. should I wet swab the barrel after every shot. I am new to bp and the pellets would be easier for me this year anyway. Any help would be appreciated. Does this sound like a good round and charge?

Start with a .020" shim and install it and check for a .005" crush fit on the primer. Make sure you add some snap when you close the action.

Yes! Swab between shots with the whitehots.

I dont think a deer stands a chance with that load.

Just to let everyone know they charged me almost $13.00 for the shim kit. No big deal, because I needed it. But they don't just send you one anymore, or at least that's what they told me.

That sucks that I have to buy an extra shim kit to save the face of my reciever you think that they would manufacture these guns with all the necessary parts

Dieseloutlaw270 said:
That sucks that I have to buy an extra shim kit to save the face of my reciever you think that they would manufacture these guns with all the necessary parts
You don't need it to save the face of the receiver. You need it to keep the gun cleaner. With the new BH BP's the gun will fire fine. Even with a loose head space.

yancho64 said:
Just to let everyone know they charged me almost $13.00 for the shim kit. No big deal, because I needed it. But they don't just send you one anymore, or at least that's what they told me.[/quote

They list the shim kit on the cva website for $4.95

Funny thing is here in ZA as the prices go up the service goes down , hope you don't experience the same problem... ;)

nickle plating.

Its not only a way to save that finish and keep it clean, but a great way to keep pressures consistent throughout the breech plug and into the main charge. I never got a chance to chronograph Factory VS Adjusted head space due to my chrono taking a poop.

Latest posts

Back