Whites get new optics!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Lately I've been comparing scopes...a LOT of scopes. I've always used the Sightron S-II compacts on my White 97s to maintain use of the open sights. Well to HELL with the open sights! If you EVER want to see a night and day optical difference, I'll SHOW it to you! Thinking THIS year I was going to get serious hunting with the Whites I bought a Leupold VX-I 3-9X40 for the .50 97 and a VX-II 3-9X40 for the .45 97. When the scopes came in I IMMEDIATELY headed out to the front porch with an armload of scopes! :lol:

First impressions? My FIRST thought was how REALLY good the VX-I 3-9X40 is! I was REALLY surprised! In fact there is WAY more difference optically between the Sightron S-II 2.5-10X32 and the VX-I than there is between the VX-I and VX-II! You really would't believe the difference in image quality and brightness the VX-I has over the Sightron unless you saw it for yourself! I was throughly impressed with the VX-I! I'd have no problems whatsoever using it with any outfit I have on any hunt I'm likely to go on.

As good as the VX-I IS...the VX-II is better! It holds its on against the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 and Leupolds own VX-III 3.5-10X40. Only in the absolute last moments of light does the VX-II have a slight advantage on the VX-I.

I can't WAIT to start hunting with these scopes! This year the Whites will get the nod in Kentucky!

2006rangepics%20274.jpg

2006rangepics%20277.jpg

VX-I TOP, VX-II BOTTOM

Chuck I am jealous I can only use peeps on my new White UM. :cry:
I have a new VX11 2x7 sitting in the gun room just waiting to be put on something :wink:
Ken

When the scopes came in I IMMEDIATELY headed out to the front porch with an armload of scopes!

I do the same test when I get a new scope, dusk and dawn comparisons are real eye openers.

Hard to go wrong with either one of those scopes. Good looking setups Chuck!

Just bought the 2-7x33 for my Super91. I have a Vari-x II 3-9x50 on it now, but that's going on my Encore sabot shooter.

Chuck, great review. I have two VX-I 2x7x33's and love them both. One sits on my Savage 210 and the second on my HB... I do beleive there will be a shift this fall and one will end up on my recently purchased Disc Elite...

big6x6 said:
Lately I've been comparing scopes...a LOT of scopes. I've always used the Sightron S-II compacts on my White 97s to maintain use of the open sights. Well to HELL with the open sights! If you EVER want to see a night and day optical difference, I'll SHOW it to you!

Well you can always send those old junk Sightrons to me, I'll even pay send you posage so your not throwing more good money after bad. :wink: :lol:

Great report Chuck. Thanks.
Seams like Leupold really have improved their glass in VX to compare to Vari-X.
How about magnification? Do you think they are now close to the number they print on the scope? Is 3-9 is actually 3-9 not a 3.5-8.5?

How about magnification? Do you think they are now close to the number they print on the scope? Is 3-9 is actually 3-9 not a 3.5-8.5?

They state it is still 3.3 to 8.5/3.3 to 8.6.

Chuck
What are the brand and no. of the bases you have on your 97.
Redclub

Redclub said:
Chuck
What are the brand and no. of the bases you have on your 97.
Redclub

On one is a White brand(Warne) and the others are Warne I believe.

Back