Why isn't the 300 gr. SST/60 gr. N120 combo more popular?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_58

Reaction score
I put in another lengthy morning session at my range today, conditions were perfect starting out in the low 30's. Barrel heating wasn't a problem today! :D

I ended up trying a new combination of a 300 gr. Hornady SST in a Harvester long black sabot over the standby load of 60 grs. of VV N120. Out of my Savage, this was a perfect match from the word go! First 3 shot group @ 100 yds. measured .358" CTC! I shot three more 3 shot groups after that and the average for the four groups measured .893" CTC. I'm kinda inclined to think thats not too bad, at least for this old boy! :lol: Average velocity for this load ended up being 2294 fps measured over my Pro Chrono. That load should knock the snot out of anything that walks the North American continent!

Feeling pretty confident in this load at this point, I placed water filled 32 oz. Gatorade bottles at 157 and 200 yards and proceeded to explode both of them with 1 shot each. I had brought along a lifesize cardboard doe silhouette and I drove the stakes of it into the ground at 200 yds. and had just enough time before lunch to try 3 shots at it. Two of the shots were within 1 1/4" and the third shot opened the group up to 2 3/4", but still not too shabby for a frontloader at 200 yards.

There has been a lot of emphasis lately on the "not available unless you already have them" Barnes Originals and N120. I have tried these also and they don't perform out of my gun as well as the 300 gr. SST's, plus I prefer polymer tipped bullets over soft lead tipped bullets anyday of the week. If you can't get your hands on Barnes Originals, all is not lost. Buy a box of readily available 300 gr. SST's and match them to a sabot that fits your particular barrel then launch them with a healthy load of N120 and maybe they'll work as good for you as they did for me. I know I'm a happy camper now and I have the confidence in my Savage that I'll need if a long shot presents itself during our November ML season.

That is some mighty fine shooting! You are 100% in sticking with what works out of your rifle especially if you have the confidence in it.

For the 1st time ever I also shot that very load this week-end. Got a 0.51" group, the best I could measure. Anyway it was a cloverleaf. I, too, was impressed.

300 SW

I'am with you, tried 300 Originals and went back to 300 SW/SSTs, they just flat are accurate and easy to get, Ray

I've been shooting fairly decent groups with this combo as well, and similiarly have been hesitant to use it for deer sized game. From the reports I have been getting, these bullets are too tough and end up "pin-hole-ing" through deer sized game (that is, if a 45 cal bullet pin-holes).

I have no experience on game with this bullet though....so take what I've said as second hand.

I know the 300gr SSTs shoot great with 2015. I just don't feel I NEED a 300gr bullet on a little 'ol whitetail. I KNOW my shoulder doesn't!

I really appreciated this posting, and I too thought that might be a good combo. Nice to see someone confirm my suspicions. The 300 gr might be more bullet then you need on deer, but if the gun likes the load I would use it.

DeerNut said:
I've been shooting fairly decent groups with this combo as well, and similiarly have been hesitant to use it for deer sized game. From the reports I have been getting, these bullets are too tough and end up "pin-hole-ing" through deer sized game (that is, if a 45 cal bullet pin-holes).

I have no experience on game with this bullet though....so take what I've said as second hand.

I have shot deer and elk with the 300 SST. It is a superb elk bullet as the bull went 30 yds and died with a 2" exit hole. On whitetail it was as you said "45 cal. hole in and out" followed by 100+ yds of trailing a sparse blood trail. The 300 is IMO just too tough for a whitetail but VERY useful for Elk Moose Bear.

I don't think that it is "too much bullet" for deer. I would look more at its b.c and the resulting wind deflection. Wind deflection is our biggest enemy, not trajectory or kinetic energy. A 10 mph or greater wind at distances beyond 100 yards plays havoc with bullet point of impact. The 300 grainers will give you quite a bit less wind deflection than a 250 sst and personally if they shot the same groups, I would shoot the 300 grainers.

I can see why you'd want to stick with that load Nic. Out of curiosity, have you ever shot a 250 or 200 SST in front of that load? I'd be very interested in the velocities as well as accuracy. The SST is one of the few muzzleloader bullets that I've ever shot that just seems to love speed. I'd guess you be close to 2,500fps with the 200-grain SST.

Sheep, I have shot 250 gr. SST's out of the same gun but I used 42 grs. of N110 powder instead. I was getting 2297 fps avg. out of this load and it was accurate as well. I'm just kind of in limbo over which load to use, the N110/250 SST or the N120/300 SST. Since I shot the 300 SST's and got on here crowing about their accuracy, I've read reports here and elsewhere about their inability to put deer down quickly and possibly not expanding on thin skinned whitetail deer. I guess I need to try them for myself and find out, but I would sure hate to lose a good buck that ran quite a ways and didn't leave much of a bloodtrail because of a bullet that didn't expand. Maybe I should resight my gun with the 250 SST's and use them..... :wall:, or maybe I just have too much time on my hands and am making too much out of nothing! :think:

We've done loads of killing with the 250s and the 200s and expansion has never been an issue on deer but my experience is limited with the 300s. I'd just be interested to see how fast you could push the 200s out of the Savage and still maintain accuracy. I've had them going near 2,500fps out of an Omega and gotta figure the Savage could top that.

Nic_58, I have been reading great results with the SST. I would find out for yourself. The 250grn XTP has been plenty bullet for 6 Deer kills this year all ready. (me and my son) I think the 250grn SST will work just fine for you. You still need to make a good shot with whatever bullet you choose. :wink:

Back