Why sabots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangeball

Reaction score
I know the Savage and others are built as .50 so one can use sabots to shoot smaller bullets, but why are sabots a necessity?

Why not go with .45 and shoot .45 bullets without sabots, like Bad Bull does. They claim greater accuracy over saboted bullets.

I had emailed SMI asking some H&R conversion questions, and Ron told me their barrels should only be used with saboted bullets. I don't understand why though.

I supposed not using sabots would cut down on the number of bullets one could choose from, as .45, .451 and .452 would all likely shoot differently if they weren't saboted.

Rangeball said:
I know the Savage and others are built as .50 so one can use sabots to shoot smaller bullets, but why are sabots a necessity?

Why not go with .45 and shoot .45 bullets without sabots, like Bad Bull does. They claim greater accuracy over saboted bullets.

I had emailed SMI asking some H&R conversion questions, and Ron told me their barrels should only be used with saboted bullets. I don't understand why though.

I supposed not using sabots would cut down on the number of bullets one could choose from, as .45, .451 and .452 would all likely shoot differently if they weren't saboted.

The reason sabots are used is to allow for the shooting of copper jacketed bullets in a muzzleloader. That's plain and simple as most shooters see readily it's impossible to fully engage the rifling in a copper to steel fit. When everyone was willing to shoot lead bullets this was not an issue because you can force a soft lead bullet into the rifling.

The rest of your questions are more complex. As it turns out it is possible under the right circumstance to shoot a jacketed bullet from a muzzleloader without a sabot but those circumstances must be met.

One reason some insist on sabots is a sabot usually blows under extreme conditions and that can (if not always mostly) act as a safety feature. Solid bullet don't disrupt so the load must work without a crutch.

Beyond that there are no perfectly sized bullets for shooting sabotless in a 50 caliber rifle. 50 caliber poistol bullets are too small and one would have to resize rifle bullets to lands diameter.

There are a number of pistol bullets that can be used in 45 caliber because they happen to be the perfect fit. So sabotless shooting is the exclusive activity of this caliber.

The good news is the bullets that do shoot sabotless are good products and very good accuracy can be achieved. Also with a well designed load it is easier to make pressure in the 45 and thus a 250 or 300 grain bullet follows very closely to establishe load speeds and levels for this caliber of rifle as shot from a case.

I think the 45 caliber and sabotless shooting will become more popular as shooters see there is nothing magic about it. And especially so when shooters see that sabotless saves the price of a sabot and generally improves accuracy possibilities.

RB, thanks for the info.

RBinAR said:
The reason sabots are used is to allow for the shooting of copper jacketed bullets in a muzzleloader. That's plain and simple as most shooters see readily it's impossible to fully engage the rifling in a copper to steel fit.

I guess this is what I don't understand. Aren't copper bullets shot from breech loading centerfires without issue?

I think the 45 caliber and sabotless shooting will become more popular as shooters see there is nothing magic about it. And especially so when shooters see that sabotless saves the price of a sabot and generally improves accuracy possibilities.

I think this makes sense.

This bullet design looks interesting-

nfbulletfrontpage.gif

www.northforkbullets.com

I don't think he makes one yet that would work in a .45 ML, but he does do custom work and is adding to his line.

I know a guy who picked some of the "afters" out of a couple moose, he said they work as promised.

Interesting concept for full bore shooting.

Rangeball said:
I guess this is what I don't understand. Aren't copper bullets shot from breech loading centerfires without issue?

I saw this one question late so sorry for the delay.

Engaging the copper into the rifling is no trouble in a breech loader because the energy of the powder does the force fit. There's in fact plenty of energy at powder ignition to totally swage the bullet into the exact shape of the bore.

However you the man are not able to apply near that much energy into the bullet when you seat it from the muzzle so with all your might you can't put rifling into a copper jacketed bullet as you load it. If you tried to fully engage a copper bullet into the rifling this way it would get hopelessly stuck in the barrel and that wouldn't be far down the muzzle either.

If you shoot a lead or soft plastic (saboted) bullet you can force the edges of the bullet into the rifling with your own strength. Thus to shoot a jacketed bullet from the muzzle it must be packaged in a sabot, most of the time anyway.

Nothing new there, I've been doing that since 1993. It didn't take a rocket surgon to conclude that the weak link in the accurtacy equation, was and still is the sabot. Back in 1992, the sabots were not nearly as good as they are today.

Using Lil Gun and a 300gr XTP, this method delivers almost 2,400 FPS and 1 MOA groups. Unlike using sabots, I can load shoot, load shoot, for groups without wainting for the barrel to cool, regardless if it's 95 degrees or 45 degrees, and still get 1 MOA accuracy any day, all day.

RBinAR said:
Rangeball said:

I saw this one question late so sorry for the delay.

Engaging the copper into the rifling is no trouble in a breech loader because the energy of the powder does the force fit. There's in fact plenty of energy at powder ignition to totally swage the bullet into the exact shape of the bore.

However you the man are not able to apply near that much energy into the bullet when you seat it from the muzzle so with all your might you can't put rifling into a copper jacketed bullet as you load it. If you tried to fully engage a copper bullet into the rifling this way it would get hopelessly stuck in the barrel and that wouldn't be far down the muzzle either.

If you shoot a lead or soft plastic (saboted) bullet you can force the edges of the bullet into the rifling with your own strength. Thus to shoot a jacketed bullet from the muzzle it must be packaged in a sabot, most of the time anyway.

RB, I'm confused. Once the bullet is seated, shouldn't it react to the charge just like a breach loader as it's slammed down the barrel?

Did I misunderstand? I thought you were shooting without sabots? What are you doing to avoid the problem you posted above?

Rangeball said:
RB, I'm confused. Once the bullet is seated, shouldn't it react to the charge just like a breach loader as it's slammed down the barrel?

Did I misunderstand? I thought you were shooting without sabots? What are you doing to avoid the problem you posted above?

Question 1 Yes and no! A breech loader works completely differently from a muzzleloader as far as forcing the bullet into the rifling. The bullet does not touch any part of the rifling when it's in the firing position. The first small amount the bullet moves in a chamber is often called the "freebore" it's freebore because it's free of rifling.

As the bullet moves toward the rifling the freebore starts to cone shape toward the final shape of the rifling and the bullet is force shaped to fit exactly the size of the barrel. The effect is to use the bullet as a complete gas seal for the expanding powder charge. Thus very little or any of the gas from ignition can get past the sides of the bullet and all the gas acts to push the bullet down the barrel while the rifling spins the bullet for stability.

Question 2 In a muzzleloader there is no forcing cone there is no freebore there is only rifling from one end of the barrel to the other. That would seem to say you can't shoot jacketed bullets from a muzzleloader because you can't get a uniform gas seal. But there is a way it's not the same as a breech loader but it will work if conditions are right .

What is needed to make sabotless bullets function is the correct bullet size for the bore. The bullet has to fit such that it takes as much room in the bore as possible while at the same time not being so tight a fit as to be impossible to seat against the powder.

The need for the perfect sized bullet is one reason sabotless shooting is not popular. Those who had the ability to size bullets to the perfect size were a small group. Today there are bullets anyone can buy that are a good fit and that might make the sabotless shooting more popular. It still has an up hill road because it generally requires a 45 caliber rifle. But the 45 caliber is another item becoming more popular with smokeless shooters.

You may wonder how a bullet that does not take up the entire bore space acts as a complete gas seal. The answer lies in using a fiber or card wad under the bullet. The wad acts as a momentary gas seal while the bullet is in inital excelleration. The momentum of the excelleration then causes the bullet to squat and so in a small amount of time the seal is as good as in a breech fired round. Things might work without the wad but most report better results with them.

RB, When using a plastic sabot and a jacketed bullet do you believe or have knowledge that the bullet sets? I dont know what kind of medium you would have to fire into to retrieve an undamaged bullet but I would like to verify this.

1SHOT1KILL said:
Nothing new there, I've been doing that since 1993. It didn't take a rocket surgon to conclude that the weak link in the accurtacy equation, was and still is the sabot. Back in 1992, the sabots were not nearly as good as they are today.

Using Lil Gun and a 300gr XTP, this method delivers almost 2,400 FPS and 1 MOA groups. Unlike using sabots, I can load shoot, load shoot, for groups without wainting for the barrel to cool, regardless if it's 95 degrees or 45 degrees, and still get 1 MOA accuracy any day, all day.

Did I read this right?? You shoot .452 bullets in a 50 caliber muzzleloader without a sabot? Isn't that quite a gap there between .505 and .452 ? Surely you jest..........Doug

peteo said:
RB, When using a plastic sabot and a jacketed bullet do you believe or have knowledge that the bullet sets? I dont know what kind of medium you would have to fire into to retrieve an undamaged bullet but I would like to verify this.

For some reason I seem to have missed this question. So even though it's been a month I'll reply.

I don't think the bullet shape is affected by firing in a sabot.. but I could be wrong.

RBinAR said:
Rangeball said:

Question 1 Yes and no! A breech loader works completely differently from a muzzleloader as far as forcing the bullet into the rifling. The bullet does not touch any part of the rifling when it's in the firing position. The first small amount the bullet moves in a chamber is often called the "freebore" it's freebore because it's free of rifling.

As the bullet moves toward the rifling the freebore starts to cone shape toward the final shape of the rifling and the bullet is force shaped to fit exactly the size of the barrel. The effect is to use the bullet as a complete gas seal for the expanding powder charge. Thus very little or any of the gas from ignition can get past the sides of the bullet and all the gas acts to push the bullet down the barrel while the rifling spins the bullet for stability.

Question 2 In a muzzleloader there is no forcing cone there is no freebore there is only rifling from one end of the barrel to the other. That would seem to say you can't shoot jacketed bullets from a muzzleloader because you can't get a uniform gas seal. But there is a way it's not the same as a breech loader but it will work if conditions are right .
With the above in consideration, let's jump to another topic. But really, its not another topic. Have you noticed that the Bad Bull uses H-4350 while we sabot shooters shooting the same caliber and wt bullets use much faster powders? And we shoot slower. Likewise have you noticed that we use a lesser load for bullet wt and caliber than you'd expect from looking in a loading manual for equavilent bores/bullets? 6 years ago I asked Toby Bridges why he was using such fast powders for the 10-ML as opposed to slower powders. His answer was, "Because they work". So we shoot the moderately fast powders, get 35,000psi and above on some loads(5744 45gs/300SST and a # of others, especially with the loads published 5-6 years ago). If we shot 90+ gs of H-322 with 250g bullet we could get well above 2500'/sec with relatively low pressure(well below 35000psi) but with significant recoil and extreme temp sensitivity. If we upped the fast pistol powder loads, pressures rose to too hi a level. Intermediate powders (IMR-4198,VV-120,etc) gave faster velocities w/o higher pressures but often have some temp sensitivity and much more recoil. What is different with smokeless MLers and cartridge rifles other than the obvious loading end? - 2 things, no cartridge neck tension and, much more significant, no land engraving of the bullet. Significant presssure increase occurs overcoming these resistances that allows the slower powders to rise to acceptable working pressure. How can we use these slower powder, gain velocity, not raise pressure, and incidentally get increased accuracy and getting significantly smaller pressure and velocitity std deviations? Here's how: raise the pressure of the slower powder by using a small amount of a faster powder that initially gets to pressure with the resistance of the bullet, its bore friction with the sabot, and the wt of the bullet/propellant. IOWs the faster powder substitutes for the neck tension resistance and the much greater bullet/land engraving. The resistance of a saboted bullet to initial movement is much less than the resistance a bullet has of neck tension and engraving the lands, much less! This isn't rocket science(something RB actually is involved in) but the approach is novel, effective, extremely consistent, generates very safe pressures(his duplex loads have lower pressures than the book loads - a whole lot less than some book loads), and have been more accurate and consistent than ANY single powder load for the vast majority or possibly all of us who utilize duplex loading. I shoot a 250 SST @ 2630'/sec @ MOA or better with less pressure than a 43g VV-110 load. So do a bunch of other ML-2 shooters. The "arguments" against duplex, so far, just haven't been convincing. They largely have centered around 1) its dangerous, and 2) you shouldn't mix powders in cartridges. Huh? I have extreme trouble understanding #1 and the second is apples and oranges. Well designed and pressure tested duplex(layering, not mixing, of 2 powders) is extremely safe IMO, until shown otherwise. Its different, novel, and like anything new, meets resistance. So did multigrade oils, smokeless powders in cartridge guns, compound bows, automobiles, airplanes, etc. I use all these, including duplex. RB may want to correct, edit, add to some of the above.
Steve White

i know this is in smokless muzzleloading but can the same .45 cal bullets that u r talking about (if u get a good fit) be shot in a regular muzzle loader also?[/quote]

tmurphy821 said:
i know this is in smokless muzzleloading but can the same .45 cal bullets that u r talking about (if u get a good fit) be shot in a regular muzzle loader also?
[/quote]

They might well be good in a smoke pole as well. I know this they present no danger to try.

I know this my friend Bob Parker has spent considerable time and effort to get a bullet to shoot without a sabot from a BP gun.

The key is the barrel fit with a consistent barrel (I use a standard .458 caliber) it should work fine. However smokepoles are notorious for having odd barrel sizes.

Back