Will #11 Caps light smokless powder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCS

Reaction score
I would like to add a modern stainlless or chrome moly barrel to one of my underhammers.

Then, I will not have to worry about overloading my 50 cal. with tripple 7.

Underhammers use a long nipple that screws directly into the powder.

If I use smokless powders, will a #11 cap work?

Loose T7 is fine, but it doesn't like pellets.

Is smokeless harder to ignite?

BCS said:
I would like to add a modern stainlless or chrome moly barrel to one of my underhammers.

Then, I will not have to worry about overloading my 50 cal. with tripple 7.

Underhammers use a long nipple that screws directly into the powder.

You better be worried about overloading regardless of propellant :!:

When "smokeless" is mentioned, you could be talking of over 100 different powders, and there can be no specific answer.

I have no idea what it takes to blow an Underhammer's nipple out like a little bullet, but you really should know before just dumping in powder.

[/quote]I have no idea what it takes to blow an Underhammer's nipple out like a little bullet, but you really should know before just dumping in powder.[/quote]

I wondered the same thing, there will be a 1/2" of thread on a 1/4-28 stainless nipple.

Tie it to the tire again, and stand behing the clump of trees, and pull the string a couple of times!

Or maybe, just best to forget the smokeless version!

Well, not much future in the string thing. :cry:

I don't think #11 caps will work, unless it is with super-fast powders that are unsuitable as rifle powders. The velocities you would be contained to to protect a nipple would be so very, very slow that I think all you would have is a mess.

Maybe Ron or Joe Name of SMI can comment, but it is sometimes called a part of Lavoisier's Law that a OVER a nipple cannot function like inside a housing or inside a breechplug for that matter.

Lavoisier lost his head, but no reason for anyone else to lose theirs. :|

:idea: For your own safty DO NOT TRY THIS as the smokeless load could blow the under hammer off or the niple out and result in serious injury to you or a someone else.
You need a closed and locked brech to shoot smokeless in a muzzleloader.
Ron Name

Latest posts

Back