Williams FP sights on a Traditions tracker rifle.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoron

Reaction score
This thread was actually off a different site.
The owner of this gun was wanting an adjustable peep and globe sight for hunting. I gave him my recommendation and he did the build. This is the thread. Again this is not my gun I just helped with ideas. He is using a Williams FP flat top sight and a Lyman 17 AHB globe sight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to share a project that I had been working on with the help of Idahoron. I figure it might help others trying to put peep sights on their muzzleloaders with round top receivers. My muzzleloader actually has the same exact receiver hole spacing as the CVA muzzleloaders, so this will work for CVAs just as good as it worked for mine.

I have a Traditions Tracker that I've had for a long time. It has always shot extremely well, but I felt limited by the old iron sights out past 80 yards or so and wanted to try to increase my accuracy with open sights for an Idaho legal muzzy. I wanted to try the Williams FP sight, but they don't make a Williams FP sight for my muzzleloader, so I wasn't sure I could make it work.

Idahoron suggested taking a Williams FP sight with a flat bottom and mounting it to a flat topped scope mount made for my muzzleloader. I tried this and it worked perfectly! All I had to do was drill the Williams FP Sight holes slightly larger to accommodate the slightly larger receiver mounting screws on my muzzleloader, then counterbore for the larger screws, and that was it. I did have to get slightly longer mounting screws, but they were easy to find.

Williams was out of stock for a long time of all there flat bottom sights so I wasn't able to get this all done until the last month, so I haven't even tried to get it dialed in shooting further, but it has decreased my groups to about 2 inches at 100 yards. Shoots about the same as when it has a scope on it! I'm shooting the 420 gr No Excuses on 90 gr Pyrodex Select right now with a veg fiber wad and liking that combo a lot. Anyway, here are some pictures.

lxdlcra.jpg

UYUfG4n.jpg

pqEKsOw.jpg

yeYoGb6.jpg

The 17 AHB on the front ramp raises the front sight. Many guys cant figure out how to raise the back sight. This is a fix that I believe can be used on most round top rifles.

Last edited:
Very nice. I've had a Tracker, my daughter confiscated it, since '04. Fine rifle. I can't imagine the recoil though... Newton had a sick sense of humor with that whole " equal and opposite reaction" thing.
Aperture sights really are superb on muzzleloaders.

I'm also looking for an "adjustable on the fly" or in the "adjustable in the field" peep sight for my StrikerFire.

I'm leaning toward something like a Creedmoor or Goodwin style tang flip-up. Gotta figure it out...

The Lyman 57 has a push button on it that is handy for a fast change. The Williams FP TK needs a gibb lock screw added and then its a quick adjustment sight too. The Lyman seems a bit more HD but I like the Williams FP. They dont have as much adjustment as the Creedmore tho.

I am ordering one for my TC Hawken, I have the TC peep on my Renegade. Skinner sight on Henry .22 lever action. I have put the Williams FP on my Other lever actions. I like them with a small fiber optic front site since I mainly hunt timber. I plan to fund thes improvements as stuff sells.

The Lyman 57 has a push button on it that is handy for a fast change. The Williams FP TK needs a gibb lock screw added and then its a quick adjustment sight too. The Lyman seems a bit more HD but I like the Williams FP. They dont have as much adjustment as the Creedmore tho.
Would my friendly neighborhood gunsmith have gibb-lock screws?

I work in aircrafting, I guess I was having a senior moment. Gotta love those brain farts.

This thread was actually off a different site.
The owner of this gun was wanting an adjustable peep and globe sight for hunting. I gave him my recommendation and he did the build. This is the thread. Again this is not my gun I just helped with ideas. He is using a Williams FP flat top sight and a Lyman 17 AHB globe sight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to share a project that I had been working on with the help of Idahoron. I figure it might help others trying to put peep sights on their muzzleloaders with round top receivers. My muzzleloader actually has the same exact receiver hole spacing as the CVA muzzleloaders, so this will work for CVAs just as good as it worked for mine.

I have a Traditions Tracker that I've had for a long time. It has always shot extremely well, but I felt limited by the old iron sights out past 80 yards or so and wanted to try to increase my accuracy with open sights for an Idaho legal muzzy. I wanted to try the Williams FP sight, but they don't make a Williams FP sight for my muzzleloader, so I wasn't sure I could make it work.

Idahoron suggested taking a Williams FP sight with a flat bottom and mounting it to a flat topped scope mount made for my muzzleloader. I tried this and it worked perfectly! All I had to do was drill the Williams FP Sight holes slightly larger to accommodate the slightly larger receiver mounting screws on my muzzleloader, then counterbore for the larger screws, and that was it. I did have to get slightly longer mounting screws, but they were easy to find.

Williams was out of stock for a long time of all there flat bottom sights so I wasn't able to get this all done until the last month, so I haven't even tried to get it dialed in shooting further, but it has decreased my groups to about 2 inches at 100 yards. Shoots about the same as when it has a scope on it! I'm shooting the 420 gr No Excuses on 90 gr Pyrodex Select right now with a veg fiber wad and liking that combo a lot. Anyway, here are some pictures.

lxdlcra.jpg

UYUfG4n.jpg

pqEKsOw.jpg

yeYoGb6.jpg
What was the number of the Williams unit? thx

Back