win apex and improved minnies chrony results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey0127781

Reaction score
hit the range today, decide to chrony my win apex 45cal. with lee real minnies. did them paper patched, paper patched with wads, and straight lubed with wads.

lee improved minnies dropping at 319grs
65grs of t7 3f
paper patched with t7 primers (ran out)
lubed with wads with rem. sts primers
5 shots each
paper patched
1: 1394
2: 1433
3: 1454
4: 1444
5: 1503 * (don't know why)
avg: 1445.6

paper patched / wads
1: 1234 * (hangfire)
2: 1451
3: 1445
4: 1420
5: 1420 * (got an error after it}
avg: 1394

lubed w/ wads
1606 * (??)
avg: 1498

avg of all 3 1459.2

fun day sending lead down range, other then lead got the best of me at 50yrds. i don't know yet if i will post the targets.

I think the drag of the paper had something to do with it. going to see if I can find some other papers and keep running the test. I was also using different primer too. i ran out of the t7 primers and had to switch to rem sts primers on the lubed bullets. that could explain the fps jump too.

I am now out of both. going to sweet talk my wife into letting me order an big bulk of primers and #11's

For what its worth...
Reading an article regarding bullet lube the other day, and the author's theory was that on a properly sized bullet the lube really helps obtain a good gas seal, as opposed to the idea that it is there to lubricate the bore as the bullet passes. Also Idahoron on monstermuleys is using a paper that is made with cotton fiber I believe that he calls it "onion skin" paper for patching bullets, kinda expensive but you can patch a lot of bullets if you take care cutting it properly I guess.?
Were you using your homemade lube?
Has anyone tried the .54 LEE REAL bullet in a 1:32 or 1:48 twist muzzleloader??

I am needing to finds some onion skin, I am using tracing paper right now. yes you can patch alot of bullets, I did 20 bullets with 2sheets of tracing paper.

yes and no on the lube, they where in my shooting box. my guess, it was an tc blue lube mixed with crisco and olive oil.

best lube I found was an red rooster bp lube, I cut it with olive oil and crisco as well to suite my needs.

thanks for the link, the last place i had an link for stopped carrying it.

think the next time out, I am going to try rs, once i get some primers, I am completely out.

Latest posts

Back