Winchester Mansion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdporter

Reaction score
The wife and I just got back from a little anniversary trip to San Jose where we toured the Winchester Mansion (Winchester Mystery House). It was pretty interesting. It made me want to look up Oliver Winchester to learn a little more about him. It’s amazing to me that his innovations have stood the test of time for over 100 years. Oliver Winchester and John Browning truly had brilliant minds.
I was a little disappointed there wasn’t more of a gun display in the gift shop though. That’s the only place they had a display and it wasn’t much of one.
For those who don’t know the story of the mansion, in a nutshell it’s this: Oliver Winchester died and left the company to his son William. He died a short year later from tuberculosis and left the fortune to his wife Sarah who continued building the house until the time of her death. It started out as an 8 room farmhouse that she purchased on about 150 acres of ground and morphed into a mansion with over 160 rooms.

Attachments

• 65BCB858-05C0-462A-8F45-21CDDC419613.jpeg
    65BCB858-05C0-462A-8F45-21CDDC419613.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 7
I saw a program on tv about the mansion and Sarah Winchester.
I guess she was kinda nutty.
They make her seem that way for sure. She did pay her staff at least 2x the normal wage at the time and had a lot of money to spend…..

Back