Winchester Model 70

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son just acquired a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win. He would like to know when it was manufactured. It's serial # is G951489. I tried the Winchester site but was notified no date was known?

I have a little Winchester book. Looks like around 1970.

upload_2019-11-26_19-0-24.jpeg
upload_2019-11-26_18-57-39.jpeg

Hard to beat a Winchester Model 70 :lewis: I sure wish i had my Grandpa’s Old one, it was a Pre 1964 in .30-06, He Bought it Brand new at a Local Hardware Store, I can’t remember what year?

They are Good SOLID DEPENDABLE Rifles :lewis:

My son just acquired a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win. He would like to know when it was manufactured. It's serial # is G951489. I tried the Winchester site but was notified no date was known?
The 300 win mag is a wonderfull round !!! He will need to be carefull with bullet choices though . Many are for bigger game than deer and too tough . The recomended 150s for deer make massive hydrostatic shock and ruin much .

The best i found for deer is the regular old winchester super x power points in 180 grain . More than enough for stem to stern and fragile enough for tbe broadside shot . Believe me its quite a task to find a suitable bullet !!! Even with the 180 power points broadside shot all the ribs will be broken and the heart and lungs pour out like soup !!! The exit hole is the size of a baseball.cap usually !!! Thats alot of power to try to manage !!! Bullet choice is critical !!! Even at 435 yds i STILL barrel rolled and flipped deer end to end in one motion !!! Its quite the specticle !!! Me , id have no other round !!! Its a dandy !!!!!
No tracking skills required.....

No problem Ed, Your Welcome. The little book was only about 5 feet away when you posted that.:D

Back