windex magic & disassembly?????'s

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickasaw_hunter

Reaction score
I had a trip to the mountain this week. I managed a quick trip to the range. Sorry no pics's, next time for sure. Ed's I shot your "little" bullets. I loved them, they grouped very nicely. My target wasn't very photogenic anyway. I discovered my sight had been jarred severely off zero. So I had a lot of two shot groups and then a sight adjustment. I didn't have sand bags so I was just semi-rested, that didn't lend to really tight groups, but I can see them will be there when I get to a propper range with bags and a rest. Ed I will be making an order soon.

Meanwhile back at the cabin I found a bottle of windex in the back of my truck and decided to use that (as recommended here) I was a little worried about the ammonia thing, all of the windex I found was original formula and had ammonia. So that's what I used, it was magic it only took about 5 patches and the bore was clean. The breech area around the nipple was just a simple wipedown and it was clean. Then I took the breech plug out and found the same wiping it down. So the stuff worked great, I will try the orange cleaner next time I think of it at the store and can picks some up.

The only problem I ran into was after I had everything spic and span I couldn't get the bolt to slide back into position. I tried to pull the trigger and get it to slide by and move it forward enough to re-install the spring and cap. No dice, I had to take the stock off and loosen the trigger assembly, then everything slid into place and went together. Am I missing something? Do I have to take the stock off and loosen the trigger assembly every time I disassemble the rifle for cleaning? That's not really a big deal, but if there is some way to clean without a complete disassembly I'd like to know, I'm thinking hunting camp cleaning.

Also is the ammonia thing a big deal? Should I avoid original formula windex in lieu of something else. Murphy's Oil soap used to make a general purpose cleaner that might work well, however they stopped making it and my wife had me driving her all over town buying up all of the existing stock, I don't think I'd get permission to use that since it's kinda like unicorn tears.

Once again, Ed thanks for the bullets. They worked great.

I got a little surprise in this years big game brochure. Colorado has upped the size of balls for elk. Now only a .54> RB is legal for elk, so no .50 cal RB's. for elk. .45 can only be used on deer and antelope using a conical with a min. weight. No .45 for elk. .50 with a conical is legal for elk, but bare in mind this is Colorado and sabots are not legal in any caliber.

Just a little sharing moment for any of you contemplating a CO elk/moose license.

Did you try holding the trigger down with safety OFF? That works for me. It is alittle tricky, just have to play with it till the hammer slides in place, once you can see the hole for the bolt I take the bolt any push it the rest of the way to the nipple. I don't leave the spring in the gun during storage and don't let the hammer touch the nipple.

As far as the ammonia, I would wipe it down an get a good coat of oil on there to prevent any issues. I use an like Lucas synthetic oil.

toytruck, yes when I reassembled it I had the safety off and pulled the trigger, I really couldn't detect any movement in the trigger, I decided not to try and force anything and just pulled the stock off and backed off the trigger screw a couple of turns and it went right together. I also slipped the cocking lever into the hole as soon as I could and tried to use it to move the bolt forward, no joy. So if there is some sort of secret method I'm anxious to hear about it.

You might be stuck with doing that every time you clean the gun, unless Doc has some suggestion. My M97's and Thunder shotgun work with the above method I gave you. It's a good idea to take off the action anyway to clean, especially after a range session, etc.

If you happen to come across another method please share...

I had a problem once with a M98 that I bought off of RW. Turns out the screw for the trigger assembly was too long. I took a file and removed a little from the end of the screw and it resolved the problem. Hope this resolved your problem.

Latest posts

Back