Wire or wood stretchers ? 2 big high country doggies

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23626

Reaction score
I was asked what kind of stretchers I prefer, well here they are. Pine, 3/4" X 6' tall, leather hinges and routered and sanded edges. bottom board is drilled every 2" and left long so you can stand on the outboard edge and pull the hide upward when done. Wing nut and bolts on the bottom using small box nails. Smaller board nailed in place at the tip of the tail to pull and nail to. I prefer the tapered head for coyotes because that is the tight spot when trying to realize the full width of you fur. This showcases the scruff collar behind the head and gives you a wider= larger fur to offer. You can see this when comparing the one on the board and the finished one, both pretty much the same size dogs so this method can be visually dramatic. When selling as a lot to the market the main thing is uniformity, all stretched on the same type of board etc. I forgot, after pulling them tight ( not to tight) and spreading the board I slip a 3/8" X 4' board up inside the hide and turn sideways. This pulls the damp hide away from the stretcher and magnifies the mane and belly area. I hope this rambling can help someone and like all others I'm learning something new everyday. Mossie

Attachments

• P1010003-001.JPG
    P1010003-001.JPG
    663.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P1010003-002.JPG
    P1010003-002.JPG
    712.3 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010004-001.JPG
    P1010004-001.JPG
    630.5 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    642.4 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010006-001.JPG
    P1010006-001.JPG
    698.9 KB · Views: 22
Those are great stretchers, I'm going to have to make me one like that. I have been using wire stretchers, but I like the way your pelts look after using your stretcher.

As promised a few pictures of my tanned fur for our Sierra Madre ( Mother Mountain) rendezvous This coming July. One of the largest in the state superseded by The Jim Bridger Rendezvous only. I'll post dates later, y'all come! 4 skunks, 3 big coon, 4 Badgers and the coyotes yet to be tanned. One coyote and one badger already sold but I hope to get more badgers as they stay prime much later than most long haired fur around here. Colo boys will note the Bronco insignia on the end of my china hutch. Incidentally I built a lot of my furniture and kitchen cabinets out of beetle killed, blue stain pine and they are period correct for my lifetime LOL

Attachments

• P1150001.JPG
    P1150001.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 10
  • P1150002.JPG
    P1150002.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 11
  • P1150003.JPG
    P1150003.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 10
Mossie, do you start with 1x4 s? Is the stretcher on the left for coyotes?

Beautiful hides! Go Broncos!

They have been going down hill since Pat B. passed away. Have known John Elway his whole career in Denver, last time we saw him (a few years ago) I asked what's with the team, he just shook his head. :(

buck conner.jpg

Mossie, do you start with 1x4 s? Is the stretcher on the left for coyotes?

Yes on the 1 X 4s must be clear meaning free of any sizeable knots which will weaken and break with use. The one on the right in the picture is the one for dogs. The left one is more for beav as I case some them to be tanned for the rendezvous . The middle is for smaller IE: fox, skunk et. Actually I'm more a Rockies fan than Broncos. Lost much of my interest in the NFL after the taking one knee BS. Got back into Collage football more. Try that in some countries and it would be both knees just before your head hit the ground. Out Here

Latest posts

Back