With .22LR available.......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you shot with a reflex style sight, before? In my experience, it takes some getting used to.

Also in my experience… if you “can’t find the dot,“ its often high, in the 12 o’clock position. I don’t know why, but when using a reflex style sight, I tend to hold with the muzzle high, until I “find the dot.”

I have a Burris dot on a Ruger MK II, on a very low mount that goes in the rear sight dovetail. Lots of fun to play with! 👍

Last edited:
Have you shot with a reflex style sight, before? In my experience, it takes some getting used to.

Also in my experience… if you “can’t find the dot,“ its often high, in the 12 o’clock position. I don’t know why, but when using a reflex style sight, I tend to hold with the muzzle high, until I “find the dot.”

I bas a Burris dot on a Ruger MK II, on a very low mount that goes in the rear sight dovetail. Lots of fun to play with! 👍
Nope, never shot a reflex before. I actually shoot quite a little handgun, both the Buckmark bull and a 9mm carry pistol. Its rather easy to the NPOA with either.
But...... I'll get that bull barrel hot learning to shoot it :)

Thankfully I can find all the .22LR I would need, so I decided that I'm going to shoot my Browing Buck Mark more and differently. I've shot it with open sights since purchasing it years ago. Time for upgrades :)
Should be fun............

View attachment 20131
Ive had that same sight on my ruger mkiii hunter. Its a pretty good sight. I couldnt find a holster for it that i liked tho. I really wanted to carry it squirreling so i switched back to a ghost ring.
I think it'll be easy to get used to on a great gun like the Buck Mark, imho.

I have the exact same issue with the reflex (Vortex Venom) on my Ruger. Once you find the dot the natural point of aim feels like it’s going to hit way low but the constant gong ringing tells a different story.

Encore if you don’t already get yourself some gongs to play with for pistol shooting. Way more fun that shooting paper.

Shootingtargets7.com is a good place for gongs.

You will be fine with the reflex sight. Most people tend to shoot better with them, but they do take a little getting use to like "finding" the dot. With a little practice, it becomes second nature. I had the same 12 o'clock issue with my USPSA setup (Glock). A little extra pinky pressure on your grip will help with that.

My eyes have a stigmatism, so red dots do give a starburst effect to me. Something to be mindful of.

My wife and I shoot Steel Challenge with Browning Buckmarks and love the platform. Glad to know there are other Buckmark fans on here. Here is one of ours we use in matches and hunting. 22lr is just so darn fun!
IMG_0550.jpg

Thanks 03mossy! I have not heard of them before, but looks like they have a lot of options for the steel shooter.

No problem.
Their “bullseye” gong is my favorite. Especially for shooting my hunting rifles/MLs from field positions. You know when it’s a perfect hit but also where a miss went.

Encore- that’s not to bad for rapid fire! Off to a good start.

As 03mossy said, that's pretty good Encore. Rapid fire with open sights @ 25 yards, I'd take that any day. That would work on any plate in Steel Challenge for sure.

What do you see in a reflex sight and how does it differ from a red dot sight? That’s probably a dumb question but I’ve only ever used a red dot.

Reflex is nearly the same as a red dot. Smaller and lighter tho. Many can change from a dot to a cross hair, bullseye or a few other reticle, with just a switch flip. Some will also change from red to green, as well as having a dimmer switch. I believe that they usually aren't intended for heavy recoil tho. Mainly pistols and rimfires.

I have a Browning Buckmark so I’m sure I could put one on that but I also have a High Standard The Victor that might be nicer with a reflex sight if I could put one on it.

You may need to get a mount system for the High Standard, I'm not super familiar with it. Some guns need a mount adapter for a reflex. Some like the Buck Mark and Ruger MKs can accept a rail. My SR1911 needs an adapter and some holes drilled and tapped before I can add the reflex sight.

That sighting in sounds like fun and a great excuse to go to the range!

That sighting in sounds like fun and a great excuse to go to the range!
I actually have my own range, well a 100yd anyway.

I sighted in the rail sight first then attached the reflex to zero it. Really nice day here in northern MI, with the temp being 38° and sunny. It took me a bit to get used to finding the dot. I found I needed to bring the barrel up more and then the dot was there. I made the adjustments and I'll say this........... If I'd have known how nice this was, I'd have had one a heck of a long time ago. I'll get used to it after a few hundred rounds :)

Lazer ranged at 25yds

Buckmark with reflex sight 1st time.JPG

I have that exact holster for my Ruger with the red dot. Retention is very good. It’s not as pretty as a good leather holster but gets the job done.

Latest posts

Back