With no powerbelts in stock, Kentucky was up!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Still waiting for some toys to come in and so since i was out of powerbelts and the minie balls dont shoot that good yet, i decided to dusk off the kentucky and give it a go with 70gr 3f american pioneer. First shot was off as normal but the next 3 grouped pretty decent for 50 yard shots. The only problem, the 3f american doesnt go off as well in a flintlock as the 2f version . On the final 3 shots i didnt compress the powder and it sped up a bit and so thats ok, its good to just get out and practice with the ol kentucky.

I did find a surprise in my closet, half a flask on goex 3f and so i took that baby outside with me and fired off 5 shots with 70gr 3F Goex, .490 round ball and .018" pillow tick lubed with a mix of bore butter / olive oil.

On shot 4 though, holy mother! I let that gun cool down and went inside for 15 minutes to take a break, went back out to load and just about cried after i got that ball seated. Felt like a .530" ball being stuffed into the .50cal bore! That shot really hurt a beautiful group i had going.

I'll post the target pic later this evening once i strip down to cool off. Friggin hotter than hell in southern colorado today.

Back