Wolf Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxxy

Reaction score
A friend of mine has just purchased a Wolf. He is looking to me for some help setting it up because I have more knowledge of Black Powder Muzzle loading than he does. But not much more. Mostly side locks... I have learned from this forum that I have a lot to learn., and there are many knowledgable members willing to help. I would be very grateful and appreciate any suggestions anyone might give me. He favors pellets which I am not familiar with and he will be using it for hunting deer, I do not know the twist rate., or what projectile he should use.I don't expect him to be shooting much further than 50 Yards. Any thoughts you might have will be greatly appreciated. T.hank-you for helping me help him get off on the right foot .....

I never used pellets in my life, so your friend is choosing things from who's advice ? What powder of pellets ? What bullets n sabots, don't tell me powerbelts ! I like loose powder so i can tailor my loads n accuracy that pellets don't allow. What caliber ? Being a CVA Wolf i assume a .50, i would try 60-85 gr of T7 2 or 3 f, some Hornady XTP .451 bullets shooting out to 100 yards.

A friend of mine has just purchased a Wolf. He is looking to me for some help setting it up because I have more knowledge of Black Powder Muzzle loading than he does. But not much more. Mostly side locks... I have learned from this forum that I have a lot to learn., and there are many knowledgable members willing to help. I would be very grateful and appreciate any suggestions anyone might give me. He favors pellets which I am not familiar with and he will be using it for hunting deer, I do not know the twist rate., or what projectile he should use.I don't expect him to be shooting much further than 50 Yards. Any thoughts you might have will be greatly appreciated. T.hank-you for helping me help him get off on the right foot .....
My son, new to ML's of any kind, purchased a Vortek .50 and he has tried both pellets and Real BP. At present he is using 2 WhiteHots under the Red Tipped Black Powerbelt. He is getting 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. He has said that this is his zero point and as he gets more comfortable he will move over to real BP. But for now will stick to pellets and the PowerBelts, mostly for the simplicity and good results on paper at 50 yards.

Deermanok had posted he was using 80grs BH209 and a 240gr XTP with good results. Based on that I tried 80-90 grs of FF 777 and the 44cal 240 XTP in a green CR sabot in a Wolf I just pieced together from GB and Ebay parts. 85 grs was the ticket with 3 shots touching at 50yds. Carried it every day during our 2 week MZ season in the AM but never got to see how it did on deer.

I prefer the 300 gr XTP but a lot of guys have hade good success with the 240s. And its cheaper to buy the bullets and the sabots separately. But the .429" bullets and the Harvester Crush Rib sabot (green) and when you're done with the pellets get some loose powder and a volume powder measurer

Thanks Everybody for your suggestions, Frank sold his crossbow to buy the Wolf and is looking forward to New York's Muzzle loading season coming up. We are short of a lot of range time and finances, so your suggestions will help soften the curve. I will work with him with the loose powder when time permits and we can further tweak up a good load.... Not exactly the way I would have done it but we have gotten him started, with all of your help.

Thanks Again, Everyone Have a good Thanksgiving and Successful Safe Hunting Trips....

Latest posts

Back