Working on a CVA Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Finally was able to get to this CVA Hawken .54cal that both my dad and I built for my brother a number of years ago. The muzzle was always super sharp and squared off so that loading a patched round ball was... well.... a REAL pain in the ass. It was so squared off that it would cut the patch when loading it up.

You can see how terrible that crown was, just completely square, no nice taper to ease strain at the muzzle while loading.
img_0320.jpg

I broke out the coning tool and supplies and went to work. I did use a power drill this time, but was very careful with it. You can do a lot of damage with its power and weight.
20190210.jpg

A little lubricating oil helps keep the shavings at the top. Anything else that drops down, will hit the oiled bore and patch that surrounds the jag. The point behind the jag is to center the coning device.
20190211.jpg

20190212.jpg

20190214.jpg

20190213.jpg

Finished project, just needs to have around 50 shots put down range with some shoot out patch lube & bore enhancer and she will be set. In the end, I can take a .530" round ball and a .020" patch, place it over the muzzle and with my thumb and a little wrist muscle, push the ball almost flush with the muzzle. I don't want it to load super easy, just enough to eliminate the need of a short starter and most importantly, keep the patch from being cut at the muzzle.
img_0321.jpg

Nice DIY work.  What grit sand paper using that power tool :?:

I started with 100 grit then worked to 150-220-300-400 and 600 grit.

Just an update on the accuracy!

50 yards, 3 shots on the right are with lubed hunting patches and the 3 on the left are with a wet lube shooting patch.
img_0323.jpg

May I ask where you obtained the conning tool and supplies?  Thank you!

Well hell! 90gr 3fg Goex shots beautifully in this rifle today! All patches came out looking excellent. Then I switched over to 80gr Black MZ and darn near out shot the goex group! Zero torn or cut patches! I am happy with the outcome from the muzzle coning. After seeing more results on the range, I think I took care of the cut patch issue.

Where did you get your coning tool ? I had a old one made by a friend years ago and like a dummy I loaned it out and havent seen it since . I like the length of yours much better then one I used to own .

Wish coning tools weren't quite so pricey. I only need it for one rifle.

I made a coming tool out of a wooden closet peg. You know the ones that have a 3/8 section that glues into a 3/8 hole then flares out and tapers back down with a nub on the end to hang  coats etc on. Just cut the nub off and you end up with a wooden tapered peg. Wrap it with sand paper and go slow and carefully and you’ll be fine. I coned a few barrels with it and they all came out well with no cut patches.

It won’t have the jag to help center the cone , but if you go slow and keep it square, you’ll be alright

The one I used to have was brass but it never had a centering cone either .I did same thing just went slow and careful .

Latest posts

Back