Working up a load for the .58 flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
I went to the range with my Lanes tubes filled with 5 different loads, 3 shots each of GOEX FFG.  70, 75, 80, 85, and 90 gr.  It's the first time I ever pulled a trigger on a Flintlock so I'm learning as I go. Had my share of misfires, flint adjustment mainly.  I swabbed the barrel every 3 shots.  I wanted to see groups this trip not sighting in the rifle.  The rifle was hitting about 7 - 10 inches low at 50 yards.  I'll work on that next trip to the range.  I felt the groups were the best with 85 and 90 gr, although I couldn't put 3 round balls tight together with any of the loads.    Lots of fun though!! :D

.58 Cal Hawken flintlock
GOEX 2FG Bore,  4FG pan powder
276 gr. hand cast round balls
.020 pillow ticking patches
Trapper's pure mink oil lube

6-20-1358calflintlock001_zpsfd2ec0bf.jpg

6-20-1358calflintlock007_zps3af43ff1.jpg

6-20-1358calflintlock006_zps1ebd76bc.jpg

heck yeah! You'll get tuned in very quickly from the looks of it. Seems that it may like a slightly fouled bore from what i see on #1 shots.

Might try spitpatching between shots ....What i see real black also likes is if you press down on it with a wad and then seat your ball or bullet till it just sits snugly on top of the wad.

Latest posts

Back