Wow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to really know how you are supposed to cram that long gun into a overhead compartment. It is hard to imagine someone actually thought they could carry a gun into a airplane nowadays. Unfortunately he had to give it up. Some TSA agent or a cop just got themselves a muzzleloader for free.

I want to really know how you are supposed to cram that long gun into an overhead compartment. It is hard to imagine someone actually thought they could carry a gun into an airplane nowadays. Unfortunately he had to give it up. Some TSA agent or a cop just got themselves a muzzleloader for free.
All he had to do was declare it. He’ll probably get it back eventually.

Maybe...

Declaring a gun is just as likely to get it stolen. They put a bright red sticker on it that says "FIREARM". Any baggage handler who want a new gun can just open it right up and presto! Your luggage has been lost.

Maybe this person should remind TSA that the ATF does not consider a muzzleloader a firearm :roll:. Which is why you don't have to go through an FFL and can have them shipped directly to your house.

I want to really know how you are supposed to cram that long gun into a overhead compartment. It is hard to imagine someone actually thought they could carry a gun into a airplane nowadays. Unfortunately he had to give it up. Some TSA agent or a cop just got themselves a muzzleloader for free.
It was a checked bag, not carry on. But he may get it back, this has to much visibility to not get it back to him. It was a dumb thing to do for sure.

Better yet, remove the breech plug and take it apart. Without a breech plug, it is not and can not be made functional. Now it's a paper weight. Mail the breech plug via USPS to your destination.
It was a sidelock muzzleloader but I do get what you're saying.

Maybe...

Declaring a gun is just as likely to get it stolen. They put a bright red sticker on it that says "FIREARM". Any baggage handler who want a new gun can just open it right up and presto! Your luggage has been lost.

Maybe this person should remind TSA that the ATF does not consider a muzzleloader a firearm :roll:. Which is why you don't have to go through an FFL and can have them shipped directly to your house.
When did they start putting the sticker on luggage with a firearm. I haven't flown with a checked firearm in a few years. There was no sticker the last time I flew to Canada with a rifle.

They changed the on the case to inside the case quite some time ago.
Unfortunately for folks like us our government is never consistent...if ATF says it's not a firearm, and they are the de facto authority, the rest of the fed should mirror that. But we know you're asking for the whole 9 yards to be dumped on you if you think they'll accept that.
A friend tried to fly out through Charleston SC airport with 3 stripped bolt carriers in his checked bag. TSA acted like he was the Unibomber. Luckily TSA does not have arrest authority, and the local pd guy was a gun guy. The cop had to radio out "stand down" when he saw stripped bolt carriers.

I wonder if you could get away with taking the barrel off the stock/lock and putting the two pieces in separate checked luggage? Neither piece is actually a firearm.
You cant carry anything on a plane that could be mistaken as a firearm or any weapon. Crimes can easily be committed with fake / inoperable weapons.

Plus why not just check it? I have done this several times with zero issues and firearms get special handling. It's easy to track your luggage at all times with an Air Tag and it's required to be in a locked/ tamper proof case.

For a TSA employee to steal your long gun they would need to break open the case and publicly carry a rifle out of the air port through security to their car while on camera the entire time.

Seems pretty unlikely

That is a sad deal for him. I am sure he will get it back as its not a firearm unless your State has it as a Law. I don't do flying n have not since getting out of the U S Navy. I will drive or just not go.

Remember, this is Massachusetts!
The same State that took the musket away from the Minuitman symbol for UMASS.
Pinheads reign in the People’s Republic of Mass. I was lucky to escape there 40 years ago.

When did they start putting the sticker on luggage with a firearm. I haven't flown with a checked firearm in a few years. There was no sticker the last time I flew to Canada with a rifle.
Kind what I was wondering. I check rifles on flights multiple times each year and don’t ever recall a sticker being placed on the outside. And I don’t worry about theft on domestic flights - I do worry about stolen rifles on international flights!

I wonder if you could get away with taking the barrel off the stock/lock and putting the two pieces in separate checked luggage? Neither piece is actually a firearm.
I don't know if you could do that or not. I think that problem was that he didn't declare it in the first place! Hopefully they will give it back to him! I don't believe that a 71yr old man meant any harm! He probably just thought that it was ok to do it that way. Most likely he's done it before.

Maybe...

Not in Jersey every gun has to be registered now. **** state for sure. Everything has to go through a dealer. I can’t sell a gun privately any more and the dealer charges for transferring the gun and a waiting period on top of that.

Remember, this is Massachusetts!
The same State that took the musket away from the Minuitman symbol for UMASS.
Pinheads reign in the People’s Republic of Mass. I was lucky to escape there 40 years ago.
The issue is a federal law enforcement issue, not Mass. While I agree Mass is anti gun, TSA is a federal level organization, which should infer an immunity to the local flavor of firearms restrictions. However, the people that comprise the local force of TSA agents, come from the local area.

As an example, I grew up in the northwest corner of VT. The drinking age in VT was 18.
My buddy and I would take my father's Datsun 610 station wagon, fold the seats down in the back, and go for a drive to Canada. The round trip was about an hour.
We would get 3 cases of Brador beer apiece, and pile them up in the folded down seats, not covering them, trying hide them, et cetera.
I'd pull up at the US border checkpoint coming back into our country, hand the guy my driver's license, showing me to be 16. He'd ask if we had anything to declare as he looked in the back at 6 cases of beer.
"No, sir" was always my answer. He'd shake his head in disgust, and send us on our way, since the drinking age in VT wasn't a federal issue, and you didn't need to declare quantities of 3 cases, or lower, per person, per day.

forget about the declaring part, he had it packed in a soft duffel bag..the way the idiots at the airport handle and destroy luggage it would be a miracle it wasnt in splinters by the time he got to where he was going..lol....

Back