Wow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind what I was wondering. I check rifles on flights multiple times each year and don’t ever recall a sticker being placed on the outside. And I don’t worry about theft on domestic flights - I do worry about stolen rifles on international flights!
It may depend on the airline. I flew on Delta several years ago with a checked firearm and that is what they did. The physically opened the case and verified that it was unloaded and then put a big red tag on it that said FIREARM and put it on the conveyer belt. I thought sure someone would steal it but it came through no worse for the wear. I was also worried it would get damaged as I have seen handlers be really rough on luggage but it was fine.

You cant carry anything on a plane that could be mistaken as a firearm or any weapon. Crimes can easily be committed with fake / inoperable weapons.

Plus why not just check it? I have done this several times with zero issues and firearms get special handling. It's easy to track your luggage at all times with an Air Tag and it's required to be in a locked/ tamper proof case.

For a TSA employee to steal your long gun they would need to break open the case and publicly carry a rifle out of the air port through security to their car while on camera the entire time.

Seems pretty unlikely
From how I understand the initial post, he wasn't trying to carry it on the plane. It was in checked luggage.

You cant carry anything on a plane that could be mistaken as a firearm or any weapon. Crimes can easily be committed with fake / inoperable weapons.

Plus why not just check it? I have done this several times with zero issues and firearms get special handling. It's easy to track your luggage at all times with an Air Tag and it's required to be in a locked/ tamper proof case.

For a TSA employee to steal your long gun they would need to break open the case and publicly carry a rifle out of the air port through security to their car while on camera the entire time.

Seems pretty unlikely
Not really that hard if you just take the barrel off and put both pieces in a duffle. The whole package is less then 2 ft long.

I don't know if you could do that or not. I think that problem was that he didn't declare it in the first place! Hopefully they will give it back to him! I don't believe that a 71yr old man meant any harm! He probably just thought that it was ok to do it that way. Most likely he's done it before.
I agree. I have done that decades ago before 9/11. I have taken apart pistols and revolvers and packed the pieces in separate checked bags and never had a problem. Like I said though, that was decades before 9/11. I sure as hell wouldn't try to do that now.

Not really that hard if you just take the barrel off and put both pieces in a duffle. The whole package is less than 2 ft long.
All airport staff are all required to use clear backpacks, not possible to walk out through security with a duffle.

Ia few years ago I had a replacement hammer and sear only in a package for a 1911 no firearm in my carry on bag. I was stopped at the check point by TSA and was told that was a firearm. I told the supervisor I would give her a million dollars if she could make it fire without ammo and without a frame, receiver or barrel. I had to go all the way back to the front of the airport and check that bag in. No common sense, how Is that a firearm?

Ia few years ago I had a replacement hammer and sear only in a package for a 1911 no firearm in my carry on bag. I was stopped at the check point by TSA and was told that was a firearm. I told the supervisor I would give her a million dollars if she could make it fire without ammo and without a frame, receiver or barrel. I had to go all the way back to the front of the airport and check that bag in. No common sense, how Is that a firearm?
Shocker. I had TSA personnel refuse to allow me through with lead dive belt weights in my carry on once. They couldn’t provide any real reasons but said I couldn’t take them on the plane. Had to throw them in the trash. 🤯🤬

Back