WSJ ARTICLE ABOUT GUN CONTROL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
SUBJECT: WALL STREET JOURNAL ARTICLE ABOUT GUN CONTROL

Read this article several times then give an honest reply as to whether this person that wrote into the paper made it clear that gun control can only go so far. I checked some of his statements and they were correct for numbers and dates. How do you control a mass shooting???

wsj.jpg

You can't.

Just as you can not prevent stabbings, car run overs, rapes, etc.

Isn't that the truth, you can't control the masses. There's always those that have evil thoughts look at these mindless kids that join these groups like ISIS .....  :thumb down:

We have had the capacity- gun wise- to do machine gun style mass attacks on random civilians in America since... Well, we can argue about the Gattling gun and others, but lets say the Tommy gun? The 1920s? We've had the capacity to use other weapons on random crowds since well before my Great Grandpa was born. 

When I was young, nobody would. It was unthinkable. And, on children? It was repulsive and despicable to even consider such a depraved act. 'The masses' were under 'control.' The shame was too great.

We never had this senseless violence against random crowds. In fact, it was unimaginable. Even an accidental gun death brought the stench of shame to the perpetrators. Even to be related to someone connected with this kind of barbarism brought shame to the family. 

Now, our latest lunatic's brother is on TV acting like he is enjoying all the attention and his manner reminds me of someone who is lying and is secretly pleased. He's slimmy. Jack-ass.

We had crazy people in my youth, too. This never happened. What the bejeezus has happened to this country?

It is a honor and a grave responsibility to handle firearms properly and with all due respect. It makes me proud to do so and to associate with others who feel as I do. I derive great joy out of my time in the woods and at the range. These raving lunatics are tarnishing our sport and proud traditions and the service our presence provides to this country.

We need to find a way to address this madness ourselves- for our own good- and police our own. Politicians are only interested in using the problem for their own purposes. Throwing up our hands and saying '**** happens' is not an option favorable to us in the long run. We need to figure out a way to be part of the solution because we are the only ones interested in protecting our rights AND addressing the problem. I'd rather find a solution that works ourselves than to wait until a 'solution' is forced upon us. 

I'd also sleep better at night.

We are allegedly profiling Muslims and Arabs to prevent terrorist acts. This didn't stop the Middle-Easterner who killed 40+ people in Orlando.

Releasing medical records of mentally ill people may stop some of these attacks but not all. In London they used a car and a knife. I guess we should ban cars and knives because of that.

Personally, I feel that the FBI is a failed institution. They seldom act on any information until after the fact. Their agents are mediocre as far as I'm concerned.

I must have been sleeping - never heard of a "bump stock" until now. Did a little research the day after this happened and anyone that sold these stocks are out showing "back order".

Had a friend (now passed) built Gatling guns in several calibers, made the pieces to convert M1's to M2's (full auto selector). Ruger 10/22 full autos were really popular, he sold many. Then the sit hit the fan when "Full Auto Magazine" did an article about my friends operation, here comes every government agency. Wibler never told us what the fines were (steep) and now earing an angle bracelet until he died. Nice guy that loved shooting on his ranch in Kansas. What he built never had issues with being used other than shooting coyotes in KS.  :no: :silent:

Unfortunately, the saying " Where there's a will there's a way " holds true also for evil desires.
And yes BigAl52.   Having retired from government, lawyers have created their own meaningless :chatty pete: :ss: :chatty pete: dynasties both in the public and private sectors in pursuit of nothing more than sustaining self-employment.

conner said:
I must have been sleeping - never heard of a "bump stock" until now. Did a little research the day after this happened and anyone that sold these stocks are out showing "back order"....
Don't feel bad connor.   I never heard of a bump-stock either.

Marty said:
conner said:
I must have been sleeping - never heard of a "bump stock" until now. Did a little research the day after this happened and anyone that sold these stocks are out showing "back order"....
Don't feel bad connor.   I never heard of a bump-stock either.
We get involved in other things as we grow older and settle in on what's in front of us. Thirty years ago if this attachment (bump stock) was available I would have had the AR15's and the AK47's all equipped with them. Don't know why as I use to complain about how much ammo we burned up in stock condition. Think of the expense of ammo today with one of these units installed, after a month your borrowing money to support the habit. :affraid:   :bom:

Once I sold those firearms life was much easier with not buying ammo, reloading ammo and shutting down the daughter and two nieces and their habit of shooting them.
They didn't mind they just rode the horses more, good trade off. :ttups:

fast of the matter, you dont need the stock in order to bump fire an ar or ak lol. You can do it with the way they are as is, especially if you have fat fingers.

The bump stock isn't very accurate either when its going off like that. Spray and pray is the word.

FrontierGander said:
fast of the matter, you dont need the stock in order to bump fire an ar or ak lol. You can do it with the way they are as is, especially if you have fat fingers.

The bump stock isn't very accurate either when its going off like that. Spray and pray is the word.
I've seen it done even without fat fingers.

"Thirty years ago if this attachment (bump stock) was available I would have had the AR15's and the AK47's all equipped with them. Don't know why as I use to complain about how much ammo we burned up in stock condition. Think of the expense of ammo today with one of these units installed, after a month your borrowing money to support the habit."

I had several selective-fire weapons when I had a Class 3 (Title 2) license. It doesn't take long to get over the rat-a-tat-tat when you're buying ammo even when I was buying it for less than 10 cents/round. Back then you could actually buy something with 10 cents.

Everyone wants to shoot one at full auto but after about 500-1000 rounds they get over it. :shooter:

Back