• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FOR SALE WTB- Ramrod puller

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not being sarcastic, just very curious......how do you even get a ramrod stuck?? I have used
ramrods since the late '60's and never even heard of such an event.

Not being sarcastic, just very curious......how do you even get a ramrod stuck?? I have used
ramrods since the late '60's and never even heard of such an event.

A very good question.
I have to admit that bad planning on my part has caused most of my problems. One is when at the range and using a bronze brush to help break up fouling, the little bristles don't like bending backwards when pulling the brush back out. Jagging a patch to clean fouling, when there is a lot of it the rod can get jammed. And when determining a given ball and patch combination on a new gun I have gotten them very stuck when pulling the balls/projectiles out. Add to this that I have been battered up in two major vehicle accidents (neither my fault) and am starting to develop arthritis in my hands (actually, I've been close to being killed eight times in my life, nine if you count my ex trying to poison me plus several other close calls). I know, better planning on my part could keep these from happening. But a puller would save the day at the range. It's not like I can tie the rod off to a fence post with dozens of shooters and range masters around me.
All this said, I appreciate everyone's input in this thread.

I have also had stuck ramrods when I first got into the sport. Mostly in my sidelock Renegade. One great thing about a inline if the rod is really stuck, just take out the breech plug an push the rod threw. I haven't had one stuck in many years now, (never with my Whites). Guess I'm getting better at it since 1993....

Wow Firewater, nine lives!?! I don't have any idea of your Christ beliefs, but God has been wanting
you to stick around for awhile!

In barrels which there is no option but to "bend the bristles", I use nylon brushes for the very reason
you gave. Also use a somewhat smaller brush wrapped with a patch rather than using a jag. Always
shot conicals and never ball & patch. Perhaps these are the reasons for never having the same problem.
Thanks for your explanation!

Wow Firewater, nine lives!?! I don't have any idea of your Christ beliefs, but God has been wanting
you to stick around for awhile!

In barrels which there is no option but to "bend the bristles", I use nylon brushes for the very reason
you gave. Also use a somewhat smaller brush wrapped with a patch rather than using a jag. Always
shot conicals and never ball & patch. Perhaps these are the reasons for never having the same problem.
Thanks for your explanation!
I just went online and got a half dozen nylon brushes. Never tried wrapping them in a patch but will give it a try, wish I thought of that.
To add to my life story, the second vehicle accident put me out of work for a while. Some months later A couple friends and I went out to the Verde River near where I live. It was at flood stage. The bank I was standing on gave way and I was pulled under a snag of submerged trees (some call them "strainers") and damn near drowned. The other two were able to self rescue almost instantly. I acquired a water borne illness from it, got dehydrated as a result of it and had a heart attack. Those who know me joke around by moving away from me if any clouds appear. Fun times!

I've read you can pull the nipple and screw in an adapter to use compressed air or a grease gun(which would make quite a mess) to remove obstructions from barrels. I wish I would have read that before ruining a perfectly good Renegade barrel.

Jim

I've read you can pull the nipple and screw in an adapter to use compressed air or a grease gun(which would make quite a mess) to remove obstructions from barrels. I wish I would have read that before ruining a perfectly good Renegade barrel.

Jim
I've seen those, at least the ones that use a co2 cartridge. Looking for one of those since it seems all the pullers are out of stock. How did you ruin your barrel? I don't want to do the same thing.

About got one stuck while cleaning when I first started 33 years ago. I didn't wet the patch well enough while cleaning and it hung up. I poured more #13 cleaner into the barrel and let it sit a bit; then I pushed it back down to the bottom and up it came.

My .45 TC hawken got stuck everytime i wiped between shots, I ended up shaving down the cleaning jag ever so slightly with sandpaper and a cordless drill and it seems to have helped . It would get a lot of fouling near the breech and when I got to the bottom the ramrod didnt want to come back out. I was even using a range rod with a wooden handle. I also polished up the bore with some metal polish paste on a brass brush wrapped in steel wool to make the barrel bore slicker. Ultimately I sanded down the cleaning jag, polished the barrel to help reduce fouling, and added a large stainless washer to the range rod at the base of the handle to assist in getting it unstuck. All these have helped keep this from happening more often. A rod puller would be nice to have around for future occasions. I feel your pain when trying to wrestle a stuck ramrod out with a bunch of self appointed "range masters" around

Guess I been lucky all these years.
I had one stuck on a little 40 caliber side lock gun. upon examination the ramrod was fixed in the stock. I drilled a small hole in the brass tip and inserted a six penny finish nail which gave me the grip I needed to pull it from the stock. After a little bore butter the problem was solved..

I've stuck lots of ramrods. Usually a little moose milk loosens up the crud ring enough to get it out. Worst case, pull the nipple, dribble a little powder in, and fire your ramrood down range. That is assuming you got it stuck while cleaning and didn't get it stuck while loading.

Back