WV doe (graphic)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
The following are pictures of a large doe I took today on the last day of WV Muzzleloading season. The first picture is the exit and the next is the entrance. I am shooting a 290 Barnes TMZ over 2 Triple 7 pellets out a Knight Disc Elite. The doe was slightly quartering and slightly uphill from my location approx 80 yards, I did not recover the bullet and this is my first Barnes or pellet kill in addition to one of the few complete penetration muzzleloader kills I have made. One thing that puzzles me is the size of the entrance is bigger than the exit, could I have hit some brush on the way and already mushroomed the bullet?

doeEXT.jpg

doeENT.jpg
[/img]

No !!!!

The barns are not made to EXPAND by hitting wood or something of that nature for the barns to expand it has to hit some sort of liquid.
witch acts as a hydrolick pump to cause the bullet to expand.
the two big does I killed this year that the same looking entrance and exit holes BUT when I peeled the skin off the exit hole in the rib cage I could of shoved a TENNIS ball through and I also shoot the 290gr TMZ over 95gr of 2fg loose 777.

How far did she go after the hit?

By the way CONGRATS on the doe :yeah:

RON G.

Thanks, something I failed to mention is that I shot the doe twice. The first shot was a little far back and the deer ran about 50 yards and fell. I was thinking I made a good shot, gave her a few minutes and started towards her. She heard me, got up and ran up the hill to the next flat on wobbly legs when I finished her with the second shot behind the leg. After this she went maybe 15 yards spraying blood. As I backtrailed her, I could not find any blood up until the spot of the second shot. The first was in the intestines just behind the liver. At the spot of the first shot I did find hair but no blood, but as I stated it was a poor shot.

Your results are text book Barnes performance. If I use a Barnes bullet, I will absolutely go for the shoulder shot.... forget the DBL lung. I don't feel the DBL Lung shot is the strong point of the Banes lineup..

Back to your photos, if you want a bullet to expand, you will need a lead bullet as a barnes bullet "opens"

Congrats on the doe!

Good hunting-

Doohan, dont get me wrong I am impressed with the Barnes performance. Over the years I have killed deer with Hornadys XTPs (.44 cal 200 gr, .44 cal 240 gr, .45 cal 250 gr), PR Dead centers ( .40 cal 220 gr), PR Ult 1 conical ( .50 cal 450 gr), PR QT ( .40 cal 235 gr) and Thompson Shockwaves (.40 cal 200 gr). Recounting these I think the best performers have been the Barnes, second would be the .44 cal 200 grain. The SW I have only used once and it wasnt the best shot on my part but will give it another shake in the future. The .44 cal 200 grain out of my old Knight Wolverine has accounted for most of my Muzzleloader kills and was very accurate over 85 gr of Pyrodex Select. I have never heard of anyone else using this combination but usually only resulted in an entrance wound so that is why I continued to try different combos. I like to shoot them behind the front shoulder and not through it. In my experience, shooting deer with muzzleloaders, there is little or no blood trails and from what I have seen the Barnes might be changing this by exhibiting good sized entrance and exit wounds.

Latest posts

Back