Xmas came early!!! New ProHunter coming soon!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE CYNIC

Reaction score
You guys finally pushed me to the point where I had to get one. I got a ProHunter coming in camo in a couple days. Got it for $750 shipped!

I am going to shoot 250 grain Barnes MZ expanders and 777 primers. Should I have any concerns with the hollow point bullets at ranges up to 200+ yards??? I haven't decided on loose 777 or pellets yet. I am going to get a Nikon Omega scope for it. What are you guys using for bases and rings (height?)
I am thinking Leupold DD's. If you guys have pics of your scope set-ups by all means post them. Thanks.

Mike

Mike - On my Pro-Hunter and SS Nikon Omega scope combo I went with the Leupold QR SS base and high Leupold QR SS rings. I also purchased a set of medium rings but liked the extra room under the scope at the hammer with the high ones. I have a similar set up on an older Encore with the straight hammer and decided to keep that alignment of the hammer for my Pro-Hunter. If you are comfortable with tilting your hammer on your gun to the left or right then the medium rings would work great. I like the way the QR base and rings work especially if you like to completely take your gun apart to clean the barrel. I have never had alignment problems once sighted in and with putting the scope back on rifle with either gun.

As far as your bullet choice I can't help with that. I use 2 - 50 grain 777 pellets on my Encore with a 300 grain Shockwave and have started out using 3 - 50 grain 777 pellets with a 250 grain Shockwave in my Pro-Hunter. I have taken 3 deer using the latter combination so far this year in Missouri but I think the 300 grain bullets are better because I have had more experience with those in my old Encore.

I hope this helps.

Curtis

go leopold QR in Med

The Leopold QR (quick release) in medium height should work fine for your scope choice. The medium height of these rings will assure that you can rest your cheek bone on the pro hunter stock.

I have installed the Leopold QR system on 7 Encore's and everyone is happy with them. :D :D

Choc-dog

The expanders work pretty well for long range but if you are planning on shots of 200+ yds. I would opt for the Barne TMZs as the have a higher BC and would drop less at that range.

You will have an awesome shooter with your selections! The Barnes TMZ's are great past 200 yards. I have found that the Triple 7 in FFFg has the best accuracy.

Have fun testing!

THE CYNIC said:
You guys finally pushed me to the point where I had to get one. I got a ProHunter coming in camo in a couple days. Got it for $750 shipped!

That sounds like a good price. Congradulations on your early Christmas present. 8)

I found it for sale on another forum. I guess the guy and his friend bought 2 of them to get a better price. I talked to him on the phone and he said he had another muzzleloader and could use the money for other things right now.
Lucky me! :D

Back