XTP and triple seven

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fxstdavew

Reaction score
What is the maxium grs. of triple7 ffg before a 250gr. 45 cal. xtp hp starts fragmenting? Thanks!! Dave

I would not push them with any thing higher than 95 or 100gr .
If you want a better Xtp go with the 44cal. 300gr Better SD & BC or the 10mm 200gr you can push these with 100 - 120gr and they do very well.

Ron

Even better - go with the Speer 300 grain .452 Gold Dot Hollow Point that's made for the 454 Casull, and push them as fast as you like.

fxstdavew said:
What is the maxium grs. of triple7 ffg before a 250gr. 45 cal. xtp hp starts fragmenting? Thanks!! Dave

I'd have no problem going to about 2000-2100fps with that bullet.. That's the recommended bullet for a Savage 10ML-II...it's regularly shot in that speed range.. I'd personally use to to about 120gr ffg although that much is usually not necessary..

If you're wanting to stay with the XTP, I agree with Ron.

If you want to push it faster, I'd go with the Speer Gold Dot.

Either way, the XTP and Speer are EXCELLENT bullets as long as you don't exceed the recomended velocities.

I have shot over 300 rounds of 250/.452 and several deer with them...

This guy is not afraid to push them with up to 120 gr. 777 ffg.

Spit

I am or was shooting a lot of XTP's once on a time. Shot them with 100 and 110 grains of T7-2f. I have a torture test that I shoot bullets into to see how thet will perform.

I have a picture of the difference.... These recovered bullets were shoot in a saturated Palouse "clay" water bar at a 100 yards. Some of the XTP's stripped the copper off the lead - not all not even half but enough that I question them a bit. On the other hand none of the Gold Dots ever stripped. I remember when I first started hunting elk I was shooting 220 grain Hornady's from a 300 Win Mag and they ALWAYS did the same thing when the hit an elk... you would find the copper right under the skin on the enterance side and the lead would be all over the place in the vitals... dead animal but I really want the bullet to stay together, and yes I am one of those guys that want an exit hole...

GD-XTPComp.jpg

Still - the XTP is a proven bullet and used by a lot of people...

sabotloader, i note that you have a stack of bullshop boolets there :wink: :wink:

sabotloader, were those the .452 300 grain XTP Mag. that broke apart?

I shot 452 xtps out of a disc this year with 105gr of t7fff. Thought maybe I was pushing them a little to hard. had 2 dead deer and never recovered a bullet so Maybe I'll leave it.

flint head

They were not Mags - just regular XTP's - I started out using mags but found that at close range the mag would go right through a whitetail and never really expand so I switched to regular XTP's for whitetail and mags for elk - but since I have moved on to a completely different bullet...

[but since I have moved on to a completely different bullet...quote]

Which is...................

Buck

To be perfectly honest with you, I use a Nosler .451/260 for whitetail and a Nosler .458/300 or .451/300 for elk both or all three of these are Partitions with 110 grains of T7-2f. Course I can not afford to shoot these at paper so I sub in the Speer Gold Dot .452/250 and the .452/300 for plinking and shooting paper. When I run out of the Nosler the Speer Gold Dots will become my hunting bullet of choice.

These bullets are devastating on deer and elk - they cause a tremendous amount of hydrostatic shock on the way through...

Here are some pics of the cow I harvested this year...

CompositCowElk.jpg

07elkflollowupcpmposit.jpg

And here is the recovered bullet...

CompositRecov-458-2.jpg

Bullet

Speer Speer Speer. Keeps coming up on the sight Aas affordable and a fine bullet. Guess where I'm going for next round of bullets for the Pro Hunter? By the way, any reccomendation on a sabot for the 250 Speer coming out of a Pro Hnter? Thanks for info!

Buck

I do not have a TC Pro-hunter but I assume the barrel bore is one of the tight as with most new TC products. It can possibly range from .499 to .501, with that in mind I can tell you.

1. Both of my Omega's which are older Omega's I shoot HPH-24's or regular Harvester sabots and if I am shooting regular Harvester's I do prefer the shorter sabot for the 250.

2. If that is to tight to get down the bore in a managable way way then try some MMP HPH-3p-EZ sabots. They are thinner than the HPH-24 and from my Omega's they shoot very very well - but I do prefer the sabot to be just a bit tighter

3. And if you have one of those .499 bores the Harvester 'crush rib' is the way to go

Just to tell you or suggest to you the Speer Gold Dot 300 grain is a really good bullet with a BC of .232, but it will add bearing surface to your bore so if you have one of those tight bores the 259 with less bearing surface might load up easier. I actually prefer the 250 for whitetail, the BC is not the greatest but that bullet will shoot to 175/80 yards with not thoughts at all. It has a very deep HP, something akin to a Barnes, and expands in hurry even on a thin skinned whitetail - It will pass through on most occasions and it will cause massive internal damage.

Another Speer you might be interested in if you like shooting 44 cal bullets is the .430/270 grain Speer Gold Dot. This is a soft point and looks much more like a conventinal hunting bullet. It is also bonded and you would probably need the Harvester green 'crush rib' for that bullet. I bought a couple of boxes the last time in was in Sportsman Whse. and plan on testing them this spring and summer. Might be a better all-around bullet.

Might look at this explanation

http://www.speer-bullets.com/html/produ ... nd_GoldDot

sabotloader said:
Buck

Another Speer you might be interested in if you like shooting 44 cal bullets is the .430/270 grain Speer Gold Dot. This is a soft point and looks much more like a conventinal hunting bullet. It is also bonded and you would probably need the Harvester green 'crush rib' for that bullet. I bought a couple of boxes the last time in was in Sportsman Whse. and plan on testing them this spring and summer. Might be a better all-around bullet.

Might look at this explanation

http://www.speer-bullets.com/html/produ ... nd_GoldDot

sabotloader,

Based on my experience with the 270gr Speer, I think you'll like them.

I switched to the 270gr Speer last year. I'm really impressed so far. I use 130gr 777 pellets in my Encore and get 3/4" groups @ 100yds. I use a Traditions sabot. It's a little snug going down the barrel, but to me that ensures a good gas seal, so I'll live with it.

My dad liked the looks of the bullet, so he switched as well. We thought that it being a soft point the "meat damage" would be less than a hollow point (thinking that the expansion rate would be slower).

Last year, between the 2 of us, we dropped 4 deer. 3 dropped within 2-3 steps and the 4th only went 20 yds. All 4 had exit wounds I could put my finger through (1") whether it hit bone or not. All 4 had minimal meat damage or blood shock. BUT the internals were goo.

Latest posts

Back