XTP Came Unglued

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobbler getter

Reaction score
i finaly shot a deer with the Knight disc extreme 45 cal i bought from Patrick here on this site. was using a 200 grain xtp over 80 weighed grains of T/7 ffg. shot was quartering away about 108 yards here are pictures of exit wound. am i pushing this bullet to fast ? thats a lot of damage.

101_2461.jpg

101_2459.jpg

I shot a few deer with the 180 gr XTP and had similar damage, its not really the bullets fault we are pushing it WAY past (2X) its limit. The SST's seem to holt together better.

Holy Moly! Thats a lot of damage. I dont think I ever seen that much even at close ranges.

Those are EXIT wounds RIGHT? PERSONALLY..I woundn't change a thing. I've see other deer shot with a 200gr XTP. It usually does a good job.

It looks to me as though it is more a result of the shot presentation , rather than a bullet problem. In other words , if it had been a broadside shot instead of quartering away , I'm sure the bullet would have performed in the classic mushroom fashion. It looks as though the bullet skipped along the ribs and caused the damage by separating the muscle from the bone and cartilage. JMO

Looks like the deer died and in spectacular fashion so I wouldn't change anything.

man thats a lot of damage! ive never seen that much damage on a deer even from a 12gauge shotgun! :shock:

WOW!! no doubts about the ability of that one to bring a deer down. I too think the bullet was sliding along the ribs and just basically exploded. I've never seen a wound like that before.

Holy crap. What massive damage. Was the entrance wound a nice clean hole?

The 44 cal (.430) 200 grain HP/XTP performance is rated for 750 to 1650 fps. If the impact velocity was greater than that then you would expect the bullet to perform in unexpected ways.

tooldog

I think 416LJT hit it on the head.
I have killed a half dozen deer with the 250 XTP starting out at 2200fps from my Savage MLII and have never seen that much damage :shock:

Congrats on the deer G.G. Still lots of tasty venison left 8)

WoW Holly Crap Thats Awsome
I just bought a .45cal Disc Extreme and 200gr XTP with some Crush rib Sabots I hope to get the same results for sure !!!!
You said 80gr by Weight what is that by volume ?

Ron i have an old brass volume measure with the grain scale on the stem i set it at 100 grains and it weighed 76.6 grains . as i am getting old and need simple numbers to remember i rounded it up to 80 grains. i got a chrony for christmas and i am going to see how fast this load is

Thanks Gob

I wouldn't change it that did a Awsome job Again Congrats !!!! :yeah:

Back